Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown brake line === 400 dollars to repair???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Oct 4, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My sister was driving my mother to go shopping satuday afternoon in her 93 caravan--when backing out of the parking space,the metal brake line to the rear wheels finally succumed to the generous dosage of road salt and generally nasty new england weather--the pedal went to the floor.She panicked,and rather than leave the car there and take a cab the 2 miles home and let me retreive it later and fix it myself,or at my friends shop,they drove it about 1000 ft.up the road to a Firestone tire and repair shop /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif they took 2 hours to finally get up on the lift and look it over--they decided it needed the metal line(duh)and since it has 57,000 miles the rear shoes,wheel cylinders,hardware kit must also be replaced.They also pointed out the rotted dust covers on the shocks,and the original exhaust is ready to fail soon.They ended up replacing the metal line to the rear wheels from just under the drivers seat at the metering block,and the brake shoes,wheel cylinders,combi-kit,turned the drums--for 400 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif--if I bought all that at autozone,everything would have cost about 75 bucks,plus getting the drums turned.I'm not bashing them--I know they have to do things by the book,and have to warranty their work,but the shoes had plenty of meat on them,wheel cylinders werent leaking(but the bleeders may not have wanted to open)so I feel kinda bad that they didnt limp home the 2 miles in low gear with the 4 way flashers on,and use the E-brake,but being a woman they had no clue how to do this.,its all my fault for being at my frinds shop helping him(and he had a ramp truck at his disposal)and the fact I dont have(or want)a cell phone!.Woman sure know how to pass the blame for something thats not your fault!.The brakes feel much better--but now I have to tell my 77 year old mother that it needs a timing belt,its still original,and the 3.0 V6 is a collision motor,meaning the valves and pistons collide when it jumps time--and the water pump should be changed at the same time--its never had a fuel filter changed,or the tranny filter either(and I know dodge caravan tranny's arent very good,but this one shifts nice,hate to touch it!)the tires are getting thin,rust spots on the doors that just appeared this year on all the doors will be holes if you poke a finger at them--the metal lines on the front brakes are pretty rusty(but they didnt pop when they bled the brakes)the front struts are getting weak--how do you tell someone who just spent 400 bucks on their car it needs about 500 more just to remain roadworthy??--and tell them when its all fixed,its worth about 500 bucks on the used car market??. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif--She wont listen to me--and she's such a PITA to deal with the guy at the store said he didnt dare call her and tell her it needed more metal lines because another one popped during the bleeding process--he just did it at the original estimate.I wish I fixed it for 400 bucks,not that I wanted the work,but that would have bought me a membership to CK5,a lot of booze,and maybe even,God forbid--a cell phone,it would have been handy when my tire went flat on I-495 this morning-but I hate those "electronic leashes"--now they can NAG you 24/7 anywhere with those damm phones!. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

That sucks, at least the brakes didnt go out going 70 MPH on the highway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It sounds reasonable, and yes it sucks to put more money into a car to keep it running than the car is worth /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Would have been better if you could have done the work yourself, but I am sure they were freaking out about the brakes- I drove a car with one leaky wheel cylinder in the rear and it was down right scary. At least they didn't get hosed on a "franklin rod" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Sorry, Seinfeld humor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My neighbor has a '90 Skylark. It had some problems and the local garage chain here quoted him $1075 for a water pump, intake gaskets and a thermostat.

I could not believe the logic they tried to use defending their quote.

"3.5 hours for a water pump"
    "3 hours for an intake gasket replacement"
    "3 hours for a thermostat replacement"

Plus coolant flush and oil and filter change.

Any one of the three parts of the job is quoted correctly...however, once you' have the thing apart enough to do the intake set the water pump is a 25 minute job. With the intake off the thermostat is a 10 minute job if you're slow. The guy had the nerve to ask me if i had ever seen where the thermostat was on one of those cars. Then he got a little flustered when I pointed out how easy it'd be to change when the intake is coming off anyways.

I called a buddy and had him tow the car here for a case of beer and had my nieghbor up and running for the cost of parts which was $170 or so.

$400 sounds a touch high for what they did, but not too far off the mark.

Rene

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Heh, I had my brakes go out in the rear off a highway- twas was not fun. Good thing there wasnt traffic ahead, I was just braking to slow down before the off ramp.

3 hours of scuttling around west virgina, I was able to find an advanced auto, and get a new hard line. Had to bend it and install it myself!

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a customer at the parts store ask me how much for a thermostat for a 2.5 GM 4 banger in the 80's,it cost about 15 bucks--he asked if fifty dollars was too much for installation--I told him I doubt if it should be that expensive,but I have seen a few vehicles that are a real nightmare to get at,but even if both bolts in the water outlet broke it still sounded kinda steep.He asked if he could do it himself,but I knew this guy has a hard time winding his watch(not very mechanically inclined)so I said if you screw it up and then bring(or tow)it to a shop you will really get raped--I went out to his car and looked for the thermostat--it was in a tube sticking out in plain veiw,with a large radiator cap looking cover--took off the cap,the thermostat had a long brass "handle"on it--pulled it out,inserted the new one,and put the cap back on!.He couldnt beleive they wanted 50 bucks to do that!--neither did I!--he gave me 20 bucks,but I'm not sure it was worth it--he went right to the shop and called them a bunch of crooks,and how I installed it in the parking lot--it caused a lot of hard feelings between me and my boss when the shop called and complained I was "ruining their reputation" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I know its expensive to own and run a shop,but I see many people,especially the elderly and mechanically ignorant(not always women,but often so)get charged a lot of money for not that much work,and they often get screwed on the parts too--many shops buy bargain brand oil and tell customers they use valvoline or penzoil like their fancy sign says,a few shops I delivered parts too would pull the dipstick and if the oil looked clean,they never changed it and said they did,sometimes they would put a new cheapie oil filter on it to make it look more convinceing--and more than a few scored some recently installed parts at the boneyard on a wreck,and said the parts were either new or rebuilt from a store.Sometimes the elderly can be a real PITA to deal with-(ask me how I know this /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif)but I feel many of them and a lot of women pay a lot more for repairs than guys like us end up paying----.
    Hmmmm---if I added up all the repairs I've done to my vehicles,motor swaps to brake jobs to oil changes,I figure I've saved about 100,000 bucks--I wish I knew where its hiding,I sure could use it now!.
    Anyone else out there tried to impress a girl or women by fixing her car,in hopes of becoming her boyfriend or perhaps just a one night companion???My advice is RUN!!! They usually own fords or some similar jap crap junk that sucks to work on,and is always breaking down--they will latch onto you and suck your wallet dry,usually without any compensation(money or other "favors")and when its fixed and running well,they drive it to their real boyfriends house and go bar hopping.The one girl I really liked was a brunette knockout with huge boobs that could do anything to her car herself--but she had no use for me,since she could do it herself--oh well,still looking and hoping,but time is not on my side. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I had just hopped off I495 onto 213 one time and my wheel *almost* fell off at 70MPH. Started making a really loud scraping sound, so I slowly pulled off. Left rear wheel was held on by exactly 3 studs, NO nuts!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif