Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown Carrier in 10 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by norcalvp, Nov 22, 2002.

1. norcalvp

norcalvp Registered Member

Helping a friend work on his 85 K5 today, we replaced the hubs, wheel bearings, and seals in the front diff, he asked me to help change the oil in the rear diff so i said OK. Pulled the cover and found big pieces of the carrier 3X3 and 2X3, plus a lot of ground up stuff. it looks like a posi of some kind. What would cause this? i have torn quite a few diffs apart and never seen this, Plus it looks like it has been broken for a while cause you can see where the two broken sides contacted eachother and wore eachother down. Plus the guy says that it still drives fine (before today) and he never noticed any noise. We are probably going to pick and pull to just get anothert 10 bolt, but Damn!!!

Also any idea what gears came with this thing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like it looks exactly what a 10 bolt with a gov-lock is expected to look like. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'm surprised it still drives fine like that. When mine blew it stopped dead in its tracks. What ratio is he running, I might have a rear end for you. Also where in NorCal are you located.

4. norcalvp

norcalvp Registered Member

I am not sure what ratio he is running, but can check, What ratio do you have?? I am in Hayward. Where are U?