Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown engine-not mine though

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Nov 4, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I was going with a friend today to the junkyard and we're going about 75 down I635 in Dallas when his truck starts making metally(word) noises and loses power and started vibrating. He pulled over and smoke was pouring out of the carb. The dipstick was blown out of the tube but everything else looked OK. The truck is an '86 C20 with 82K? 182? 282K? ...miles on it and he was actually thinking about leaving it there...how much would it probably be worth? Its got a TH400, 14 bolt SF, and a sh*tty body and interior

90K5

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

if it's that bad pull the drivetrain out, pull off the almost straight body panels,fenders,doors,top.. pull out the dash,seats,console,,,,,anything you think you can sell or use..windshield, tailgate glass and workings...scrap the body, buy another blazer in decent shape, put old parts on that are in better cond. than the ones on the rig he just bought, and sell the rest to help pay the bills..or just send them to me for free, i'll pay shipping,, see problem solved!!!good luck..

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

We looked at it today and it actually started but had a big puddle of oil under it after we shut it off. It definately threw a rod, you could hear it bashing the hell out of the cylinder walls. I think he is going to go to the junkyard and get a 350 out of a wreck. How much would it cost to rebuild, maybe with some performance stuff, but not too much, he doesn't have much money. I think the junkyard might be a bad idea, unless he can find a Vortec for cheap.

90K5

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

well i don't know how much engine stuff costs in your neck of the woods but you may be able to pull top end off, all the accesories,intake and such and just scrap the old block,,,then go look in the paper for someone that has a motor for sale that needs rebuilt,,,usually cost about $100 for a repairable motor...i usually take my stuff to the local technical school to get a basic rebuild cause they will do it for free,,,all you have to do is supply the parts and they'll do it as a class project..if you get motor from yard they'll probably want $350 for a motor that "RUN'S GOOD"[​IMG][​IMG] but will need rebuilt in two weeks anyway!!basic rebuild kits are around $400 any way for a complete kit,,,I'd check out SUMMIT or PAW or even 4WPW if you like them or not...
    good luck.....

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Don't buy one from a junk yard. I've learned my leason over the years buying " rebuilt " trannies from there. Until I found out all they have to do to call it a rebuilt legally is change the seals. They never even have to crack it open to look inside. You'll just be looking for another in a month or so if you go that route.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>