Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown Fuse!!!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rich84, Feb 24, 2000.

1. Rich84

Rich84 Registered Member

Recently, my after market Sony CD player began blowing the factory fuse. I can't find any breaks in the wiring and the ground wire looks good. The radio itself has a second fuse in it and I think this is for the speaker wires, so I haven't checked them thoroughly yet, because that fuse hasn't blown. I had no problems for over a year and can't think of anything I've done recently to cause this. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

2. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

look for any other wires that may have frayed and are touching metal and grounding out. pretty common problem. hope that helps.

Adam

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

By factory Fuse, are you meaning the fuse for the blazer?

C'moe

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

How often does it happen. Try disconnecting your battery from the truck and just hooking power to the radio, this will tell you if some other component is shorting out and putting voltage on the chassis. If you have power only to the stereo and it still blows, then there is something wrong with the radio. It may have an internal short caused by too much bouncing around. (It happens a lot with off roaders) You may be able to open the radio and look for shorts, but more often than not the radio is shot. Good luck. Diesel.

5. Rich84

Rich84 Registered Member

Thanks DieselMH, I'll check that out as soon as I can, since I can't find any frayed wires anywhere. For C'moe, by factory fuse, I meant the one in the fuse box; I'm running it off the factory wiring.

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I would look for a wire touching the ground somewhere in the system. Also in most power lines there is a isolation transformer with a filter cap in it. Sometimes the cap will go bad and give you a dead short in the power supply to the radio.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

7. Rich84

Rich84 Registered Member

IT\'s Fixed!!!

Only took me 3 months, but I finally tore all the wires out and on my last try, I found the right rear speaker wire was cooked. Thanks for all the posts.