Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown Head gasket question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 88sub4x4, Oct 15, 2005.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I am going to look at a '95 2500 4x4 ext. cab long bed, A/T 140K 6.5L diesel. The guy wants $1500. He said it has a blown head gasket. If the guy ran the truck like that will it kill the motor? Or, do these hold up, and essentailly I would just need to do a head gasket job? I am a mechanic with alot of gas and cummins experience, but I have never encountered a 6.5 or any diesel blown head gaskets. Are these common on these motors?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

maybe...

I dont hear of 6.2's and 6.5's blowing head gaskets too often,but its not unheard of either,especially at that age and mileage..it all depends how much prestone got into the crankcase,the bearings will suffer just like any other motor that gets antifreeze in the bottom end..

And if it leaked badly enough it might have damaged an injector tip--diesels don't like water ,usually if any gets in the fuel or combustion chamber it will blow the tip off the injector,or at least damage it enough to it no longer sprays a nice pattern,but drips and leaks instead..not a big deal to change though,or that expensive....

I'd take a long look at the oil dipstick,and see how contaminated the oil is..it will be hard to tell how much antifreeze got in the oil,it always looks like tar in most diesel engines!..but if its watery or milky looking,thats not a good sign..but I've gambled and changed head gaskets on many gas engines that got some in the lower end,and just flushed them out good,and put new oil in,and they lived too. :laugh: .some only lasted a week,then started knocking.. :doah:.. Depends on how long the bearings got exposed to the antifreeze I guess... :crazy:

Sounds like a decent truck for the price though,if the body is decent,its probably worth it,even if you had to get a used motor or rebuild the old one comepletely.. :laugh:

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately someone bought it before I got there. It looked like a clean truck too. I guess I'll keep looking.

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

good possibility that it could have been a cracked cylinder wall or head to. Common problem on the post 93 6.5 diesels.