Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown head gasket!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DragnFly, Apr 10, 2003.

1. DragnFly

DragnFly Registered Member

I have a 83' k-10 blazer that blew a head gasket about 6 months ago /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and i was curious if anyone knows about how much a valve job would be??? Also, I have heard that if water gets in the cylinders (which happened to mine) it can and will rust the cylinders. Is this true??? I just cant let go of this blazer so any help would be great! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, I have heard that if water gets in the cylinders (which happened to mine) it can and will rust the cylinders. Is this true???

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, 6 months of water in a cylinder, your screwed!

3. DragnFly

Damn! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Thanks for the tip Tybee. I was hoping that it wouldn't come down to that and I know that means rebuild, but I guess sh!t happens! I know this is a stupid question but not like I can change anything so would and how much would it fu... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I mean mess* up my truck if I just got the head gasket fixed and continued to drive it? . Any info will help, thanks!

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If there's rust in the cylinders, the engine won't run, because it will either be locked up, or the rings won't seat any longer. Since you'll have the heads off anyway, just see how the cylinders look. If there's light rust in them, a simple honing will suffice.

Casey

5. DragnFly

Thanks Casey for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Wanna hear something weird? Every now and then I go out and start it up and it runs fine. With the exception of the blown head gasket. Acts like it always has. So im guessing that theres no rust, or at least very very little. Thats good on my part. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Every now and then I go out and start it up and it runs fine. With the exception of the blown head gasket. Acts like it always has

[/ QUOTE ] That would be a good thing! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. DragnFly

SWEET! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, i'm a happy camper! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif