Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown Head Gaskets!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stallion85, Oct 24, 2003.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Here is the deal: Back in June I blew a head gasket on my way to a camping trip in Utah. My father in law and I changed the one side out after doing a compression check. We also changed the cap and rotor,spark plugs,wires, and all other appropriate gaskets. The truck ran great over the weekend, on the highway and wheeling in the mountains. On the way home back to Vegas the truck started to show the same symptoms;dogging out, engine ping, no power whatsoever!! Well, I thought it was a carb problem and took the Holley off and put the Edlebrock back on, changed the fuel filter. The truck was still pinging a lot when you got on it. I live on Nellis AFB and only had a short drive to work. The truck would drive fine at base speeds 25 MPH max no problems. Unfortunately I had to leave the country and was unable to get to the root of the problem. My brother was going to buy my Blazer from me while I was gone. He took into the Chevy dealer and had it checked out; they told him the timing was off so bad they couldn't believe it even ran!!? Well after like 2 weeks he was driving to an Elk hunt and guess what he blew another head gasket /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif He is now unable to come up with the funds so I get my truck back in November when I come home.I was planning on getting a 69-72 Blazer, but am glad to have mine back.OK here is my question after all that said /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Why would the head gaskets blow? Was it because the timing was off for so long? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Any input would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

When you changed the gasket, did you check the block/head for warpage? More than likely the bad timing overheated the motor, causing the HG issues....

3. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

What SUBFAN said...

Also, timing that is all fawked up (way too much total) that starts causing detonation will destroy head gaskets. It will also break rings, burn holes in the tops of pistons, cause "four corner scuffing", hammer out rod bearings..... The list goes on... Detonation/pre-ignition is one of the leading causes of engine failure.

Another chevy trick that a lot of guys don't know about is the mystery "why do I always have signs of detonation in the number 7 hole and not the rest" syndrome...

You ain't gunna believe this... Look at your firing order for all of Chevy's smallblocks. See how #5 and #7 fire sequentially?? And the two cylinders are right next to each other??? When 95% of the people route their plug wires into the brackets, they put those two wires right next to each other all the way from the distributor to the plugs.... This is a no-no... It is possible for the number 7 plug wire to "induct" part of the charge going down the #5 wire and fire the #7 plug about 45 degrees TOO SOON. The cure??? Put those two plug wires as far apart as possible...

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

When you changed the cap and wires did you move the distrib?

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

good info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When you changed the cap and wires did you move the distrib?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, we took the whole thing out when we changed the head gasket. The timing was fixed at the Chevy dealership. 2 weeks after that the other head gasket blew?? I don't really know all the details since I am so far away from home, I was just wondering if that could have been a cuase. Thanks for the replies /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I will give an update when I get home and check things out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif