Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blown heater core....help..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gabdam, May 18, 2001.

1. gabdam

gabdam Registered Member

i drove my 86 jimmy today and smelled the sweet smell of anti-freeze, so i pulled over popped the hood everything was ok there but notice anti -freeze leaking out by my passenger door. i guess its safe to say my heater core is shot. the carpet is all wet and nasty. has anyone ever changed there own heater core and how difficult is it to do? i have'nt really taken a lok at it because it was dark. any help would be appreciated....how much does a new heater core cost?.................THANKS

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

It aint too hard.I pull my inner fender well to get better access to the bolts for the air box but I dont know if you have to. To me that was the worst part.But who cares about heat, just bypass it. Worry about it when it starts gettin cold :)

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by FRIZZLEFRY on 05/19/01 08:16 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

One of the boys wrote a pretty detailed article on changing out your heater core. Check out the CK5 "technical" page- hit the trail map above and click on technical...............

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I changed the heater core on my 89 last summer It was pretty easy.It only took a couple of hours. I think it is similar to yours.
    1.Drain raidator&Disconnect heater hoses.
    2.Take off the heater case to firewall screws and nuts from the engine side of the firewall you also may have to take off your radio antenna if you have one.
    3. Remove glove box to gine a little more room.
    4.depending on how much room you have you may have to remove the ECM and right side kick pannel.
    5. Pull out the entire heater case. If there is not enough room take out the nut and bolt on the lower right side of the dash and lift up the dash a little.
    6. remove all the little screws and split the case apart. take out old heater core and replace.

5. 85Blazernga

85Blazernga Registered Member

When I tried to replace my heater core in my 85, I found several little problems. First, the door that controls the air was in bad shape. The little clip on it was broke so the door wouldn't close. After I saw that, I went and got a junkyard box that had a good heater core. My question is, how do you split it apart? I couldn't get to the core on my new box. I took out all the little screws but it was still held by 'something'. I am thinking it was a rod for one of the doors. ANyone else have this problem?

GSB
    Forever #3!!

6. gabdam

gabdam Registered Member

so the best way to get it out is from the outside of the truck not from behind the dash..how long should it take me?

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The bolts that hold the heater box in are under the hood. The Heater box is in the truck behind the glovebox.
    Here are instructions. http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Grim-Reaper on 05/19/01 04:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. Mud Bath

Mud Bath Registered Member

took 3 hours hardest part was gettin the actual core out of the air box

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Grim,

Nice write-up. Perfect timing ... started smelling that stuff last week ... and didn't know about this!

LMAO about all the stuuf you found in there!

Thanks

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

To take apart the air-box itself becomes a chore if you miss the screws that are attached from the inside. Look closely at the foam ring around the backside of the box and you will find two or three holes that you can get a small socket or nut driver in to take out the bolts. They are very hidden, and will make you start looking for the BFH in desperation.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."