Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FatBoyBlazer, Jan 25, 2003.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i blew my motor the other day, and i i have little money to put a new one in, i got laid off. if i were go to the junk yard and get a motor what would you suggest....its a 91 with TBI and its a 350..........i want to get a stock engine that will bolt up, and before it goes in i'm going to change all the gaskets and do a little head work..... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. unsane

unsane Guest

I would look for a VAN motor. Often you an get these cheaper than the truck motors, and they are the same thing. Then all you have to do is scrap the accessories from the van set-up and put your stuff on it. Plus alot of vans have not been driven as hard as trucks. my 2 cents

3. FatBoyBlazer

is it possible to just take the intake off of my motor and put it on an older 350 or 400? or any other small block? /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Most vans have 305s in my experience. Even most 3/4 ton vans. I've never spotted a 350 in a half ton van. I have found them in 3/4 tons. They're almost always in 1 ton vans and in 3/4 ton commercial vans. Van motors are often neglected beyond belief.

5. unsane

unsane Guest

Right....Most vans I have seen have 350's! All junk yard motors are neglected beyond belief.

6. unsane

unsane Guest

nope, not unless its an 86 or newer block.

7. FatBoyBlazer

i couldn't use even put my intake manifold on it.....

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The only difference is the angle of the 2 innermost bolt holes on each side for the intake. A bit of creative grinding can solve that problem. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Maybe in your part of the world most of them have 350s. However, if I were to count 305 vs 350 in any of the junkyards I've visited in Michigan the 305 count would outnumber the 350 count 3:1.

Not all junkyard motors are neglected. Sure, they are once they get to the yard but believe it or not some of them are in relatively good shape. "Relatively good shape" to me is not requiring any machine work.

10. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

you can do it ive done it already to save the money because the newer intakes cost more just waddle out the 4 middle bolt holes and it will fit i even called edelbrock just to make sure the ports line up easy job sould not take long

11. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

check the want ad, we bought our motor (TBI out of an 89) for $400 - running with harness, you can find them cheaper than that too...or if you can find a rotating assembly and just put your heads and intake on....but if you're just looking, you'd want 87 and up for years cause of the 1 piece rear main seal and a motor with centerbolt heads (on the valve covers)