Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blown Tranny Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, Oct 4, 2004.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I blew my 700r up this saturday sad thing is it worked fine untill I got a little stuck. Rocked the truck forward and backward making sure not to go from R to D to fast. Then one of the times i went to D it made a little Clunk and then I had no gears nor does park hold /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I was not beating hard on this thing when i got stuck, A S-10 blazer pulled me out after the tranny blew. Wondering if this has happened to any of you cause it didn't make noise before or after it stoped working. Should I replace it with a different tranny or get this one rebuilt at a good shop. I don't have a lot of money and I like the Overdrive but what are your opinions??

2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

since park does not work, and from what you described it sounds like you may have stripped either the output splines on your transmission or the input splines on your transfer case. Does it make any noises when you go to put it into gear?

The good news...
    Before seperating the transmission and transfer case however make sure that your transfer case didn't accidentally get knocked into neutral. try shifting the lever to ensure engagement and crawl under your truck to make sure that the transfer case linkage is intact and functioning.

Good luck Mang

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    nor does park hold

[/ QUOTE ]

Well , I doubt the parking pawl broke too , but could happen . Does the speedometer move ? When I blew my 76 Chevelle ( Laguna S3 ) rear end , it did the same thing , no gears and park grinded . Check to see if the driveshaft moves /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

OK when i put it in gear it make a very slight grinding noise only audiable under the truck the transfer case is not in nuetral and both tranny and tcase are not damaged on the outside. When I have the motor running and try to go from D to park it grinds a lot like the tranny is still spinning inside. Also I can shift the tcase from 2H to 4L in any gear with only a little bit of grinding. As far as my expirience goes you can only shift into 4L in neutral and stopped. Oh and ya the speedo does work. The thing that get me most is it didn't make a lot of noise when it blew it was just a small clunk kinda like when you got a sloppy rear end, bad ujoints and put it in gear.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My TH350 lost reverse recently,it makes a faint buzzing noise,but no reverse--probably the splines on the inside of the clutches stripped out.Yours might be the same deal if you hear things spinning,but no power is transmitted.Mine was low on fliud,but filling it up didnt help(this time! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)--I had no dextron handy yesterday and i wanted to move the truck,so I topped it off with drain oil--it still wouldnt back up--I know the motor oil wasnt the right stuff to put in it--but I was 99% sure the tranny was forked anyway,tried to move it so I can part it out--scrap just hit 68 bucks a ton,so its gotta get to the boneyard soon before it drops again--. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

One thing to check before pulling it apart is make sure your linkage is ok. If you look at the bar going to the trans from the frame there is a bolt that holds it together to the linkage comming from the steering colume. Make sure that is not slipping. If that is ok then chances are something is fubar inside.