Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blown up front axle question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Jun 6, 2004.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

ok heres a good question,a while ago I blew up all the pinion bearnings in a 3/4 ton dana 44 from a pinion seal that leaked and water got into it.after a couple mud trips it caught up with me.I replaced the bearings and shims as a short term fix till funds can afford a 60.I aslo welded the carrier which helps with my bald 38" swampers.on a recent trip I didnt break but bent the outer stub axle yolk and spit to caps on the u-joint.even though the whole thing is thrashed since the pinion got chewed up on the pinion bearning letting loose I need to fix it so I can go all out till the 60 come avalible.so I was thinking on getting a 10 bolt front or another 44 1/2 ton front axle and swapping the 8 lug outers to match the rims and tires.since its a older 19 spline deal could I throw in a 10 bolt or 44 that has 4:10 gears and keep the outers 8 lug? I was also thinking about getting another outer axle and joint and staying with a 10 bolt front and connecting the 19 spline outer with a 30 slpine inner? would that work or would the inner be 19 spines too? Im lost,confused and getting myself confused talking about it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

All D44 and 10 bolts use 19 spline stub shafts. You can swap a 1/2 ton D44 or 10 bolt in and swap your 8 lug outers onto it to make it a 3/4.

Or if you only broke the ujoint and stub shaft replace it with a new joint and stub. Shoudn't be very expensive.

Did you break anything inside the axle this time or just the stub shaft?

There is no 30 spline conversion for a D44 outer that I am aware of and there is no reason for it.

The inner D44 axleshafts are 30 or 31 spline and the outers are 19 spline.

A 10 bolt outer stub shaft is the same as a D44 so you can use a stub from a 10 bolt also.

Harley

3. poorboy1

poorboy1 Registered Member

pretty much it wont matter if you still run the welded front. It WILL break again. I run a welded front 44 and break ALL the time. What ever you decide when you upgrade I dont recomend continuing the welded front. When i get a chance the welded front will come back out. Just trying to save you some money cause I have already gone thru about 6 shafts.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know what size tires y'all run but I couldn't make my 10 bolt front survive even one run with 38.5" TSLs, even OPEN!! Four trips and broke it twice last year, then pulled it out.

That said, I wouldn't bother swapping in a 10 bolt for the above truck, I'd just replace that one shaft and continue hammering on it.

A D44 has 30 spline inners and 19 spline outers.

A 10 bolt has 28 or 30 spline inners (but the inners are NOT interchangable with a D44) and the same 19 spline outers as a D44.