Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BLOWN?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Aug 20, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if a blower(supercharger) could help in off roading it dosent seem like there comanly used I no that there not cheap and you would probably need to cut your hood but dont they always make power not like a turbo and have lag and unlike nitrois you are always using it. BTW if im wrong about any of this please tell me im not a blower expert.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Superchargers are pretty cool, they work all the time, but the power gains are mainly noticable in the higher RPM range. A modest blower can help increase fuel economy if you keep your foot out of it, and if the engine is built for it they are quite reliable if you stay with a pretty modest one. I've considered doing a smaller blower, like a B&amp;M 144 or something, but wouldn't do it on a stock motor, I'd want to build it right with blower pistons and a cam that has a profile designed to be run with forced induction. So yes, they are a good mod unless all you do is rock crawling, since you'd never really get into the power. They would be cool in mud or on sand dunes. BUT, they are nto a bolt on mod, they take lots of planning and a correctly built engine to produce reliable power. A smaller one would fit under the hood of a Chevy truck, especially if you have a body lift.</font color>

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know anything bout them either cept that when a camaro passes me with one it Whines and sounds bad ass,,,,, but anyway, What about mud getting in there? could you use a snorkel? or.........

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Mud in a blown motor would be just as bad as mud in a NA motor. Maybe I don't understand the question... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif </font color>

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

what im saying is on a blown motor you have to have that Tunnel sticking out of your hood dont you? easier for mud to get in? or do you not have to have one of those

6. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

There are several blowers on ebay most of the time. Eaton is very common. You still have to keep the air clean. A blower can be set up to produce some boost at or just off idle and is better than a turbo in that respect. It's up to whomever you know that can fab stuff up.

7. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

If its the whine your after What about replacing the timing chain with a gear drive. Wont add any power but they do have a nice whine.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

timing gears take away HP in the lower 4k RPM, from what i have been told. they take to much to turn.
    very accurate though.
    grant

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

NOS does make a nitrous system that can be used at all times, I'm not sure what platforms they have designed it for though. It has a variable rate of flow, the harder you push the go pedal the more it throws. It can be adjustable up from 40 hp to 100hp for a factory stock motor. I have not heard how it performs in the rocks yet, but I hear that it is freakin' awsome in the mud and sand. Plus it can be hit for that extra passing power on the freeway. It's cheaper than building a forced induction motor /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif, and can be switched on and off. I think you need to be fuel injected so that it can trick your computer into running rich. If you have tbi you should be set to go.

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

You are barking up a bad tree guy, turn around and leave! Ive had a few, and blowers and turbo's are the same in the aspect of CLEANLINESS. if you take in dirt grit, it stops working and if it fails, your pistons melt from not getting air. bad bad bad bad...same with a turbo.

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Just because you have a blower dosent meen you gotta have a L-88 hood with a big old scoop in it thats just for they drag racers that want areo dinamics and power

AGIN CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

12. 1tonblazer93

1tonblazer93 Registered Member

hey 4x4r i have a 73 k5 with a blown 400 small block,you must upgrade your axles and drivlines.I run the b&amp;m 8-71 blower,my upgardes are pistons cam headers&lt;most importent is your ignition and wire's,the carb should be well prepped for a forced induction(cut of choke horns ,et),I run standar fuelie heads(if you go to BDS's web page they will also tell you that you wont need high dollar heads with a blower),I have 44'' boggers and detroits at both ends,I run the 4sp ( I hate slush boxes)when I need more power OR tire spin I just add a little throttle,I us this truck for pure evil and it has never failed me rather it's mowwin down small trees, mudd boggen,and camping down at the river with the soft gravel good luck on your selection /forums/images/icons/cool.gif my setup is now 3yrs old with only minor breakage,,driveline related