Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blowout in 35"+ Tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, Mar 4, 2002.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Blowout in 35\"+ Tires?

I've often wondered about this but have yet to actually see it. Have any of you guys ever had a blowout or heard of someone having one in a 35"+ size tire? I think it would be disastrous, especially on the highway. One of the main drawbacks in having a rig with large tires...

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Blowout in 35\"+ Tires?

And lockers on the rear.... Hold On!!!! I don't think we are in Kansas anymore Toto!!! Yikes.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Matt (Baby Blue) blew out a 35" Mud King at about 75mph on the way to last years Blazer-Fest. I was driving right behind him. It was the right rear tire and it just blew...no warning! He handled it well...got off to the side of the road and we changed the tire.

4. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

i've heard too many bad story's about mud kings....thats why i took mine off! it had a bubble too.....but blowout? no but i snapped all my lug stems off getting off the freeway off ramp, all i can say is thank god for front hubs!...it saved my life for damn sure

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I'm just imagining how hard it would be to get a rig under control at that speed, especially if it were one of the FRONT tires!

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I was pulling a 16' trailer with bikes and quads....sheared all six lug bolts off the left rear! It was exciting for a bit, but it all ended up shiney side up, flat spotted drum and a crinkled quarter panel. This was on 33's in a '79 Jimmy in the wilds of New Mexico....the freeway would have been a disaster....33" tire bounding down the road...Jimmy and trailer crossing 3 lanes....never did find out why they all broke. We found most of the lug bolts with the nuts still in place and tight.....?

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Dang! I've also thought if it was possible to have all 6 studs break at once! The problem with those is that they're just too weak. I've had a couple of BRAND NEW ones break off very easily by me just hand tightening the lug nuts! And that's because I had just put the studs on!

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

As long as you keep your head it's not as bad as you would think. I lost a wheel at 55 mph 2 weeks ago. Once the wheel cleared the truck and the drum hit the street It stayed in line. I lightly rode the brakes. That locked the drum and kept in on the truck. Got it down to about 10mph and pulled off into the grass. It was not as bad as I had imagined something like that would be. A bud was behind me when it happend. Said it was quite a show with the sparks flying.
    As long as the road is in good shape and you don't do any drastic steering input or hard on the brakes it should be controlable. Just don't panic. figure out what the truck want's to do and keep it in a straight line till you get it slowed down. I think the crap with the explorers are more driver error than anything. I think they are jerking the wheel when the vehichle drops or slamming on the brakes. Absolute wrong thing to do when you have a blow out. The right thing to do is lift off the gas easy and let the vehicle shead the speed till you get down to about 25 mph then light brakes to a stop. Almost all of the explorer rolls the vehicle has left the road. My guess is at 65mph the folks are diving for the median or emergency lane and over correcting. THen they leave the road and get on the grass and get sideway's.

9. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

About two years agoin Colorado I lost the front drivers wheel and tire(shop didn't torque). It felt like the road fell in but stayed cool slowed down easy and got it off the side of the road. Still scary though.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My buddy's brother had a 35" BFG blowout on him. This is the first time I have ever heard of a BFG have a massive blowout, and it was a massive blowout. I think one of the contributing factors was it was a 16.5" rim tire, and he was probably low on air pressure which may have built up heat, along with the abuse he put to it. The tire actually came all the way off the rim, and messed his rim up. BFG sent him a check for a new rim, and he had the tire under warranty so he lost no $ and BFG did him right which I like to hear. I have never seen a BFG with a massive blowout til then, I have only been able to pop a few over the years.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

that just happened to a friend of mine on her grand pri. the front right.
    no warning, just snap
    Grant

12. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

a guy came into work last summer and had an 35" BFG A/T tread seperate and about 1/4 of the tread was still attached to the tire and the tread was whipping around at highway speeds and totally ruined the bed of his truck it smashed in all the sheet metal around the wheel well.

13. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

a guy came into work last summer and had an 35" BFG A/T tread seperate and about 1/4 of the tread was still attached to the tire and the tread was whipping around at highway speeds and totally ruined the bed of his truck it smashed in all the sheet metal around the wheel well, that would scare the sh!t out of me also./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif