Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blows a cloud of oil smoke when starting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddbogg89, Mar 22, 2002.

1. muddbogg89

muddbogg89 Registered Member

my 89 tpi 350 blows a cloud of oil smoke when starting when it sits for a day,but not when it sits for more than 1 day or not when it sits for 2 hours or less.Supposedly the motor was a swapped by the dealer at 60,000 miles the truck has 140,000 on it now. Also when filling the oil it (valve cover) it drains very slow,it will only take 1/2 a quart before it will spill from the hole the I have to wait 3-4 minutes before pouring in more.also the oil pressure never goes over 45.

also it dosen't blow any oil when driving.
    any ideas?

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

sounds like the valve stem seal to me.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a valve job to me... exactly what mine did. I however blew the engine so it wasn't an issue after that! DOH! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

check the vaccuum modulator on the tranny. sounds stupid, but thats what happened to mine and it was a freshly rebuilt tranny and a brand new engine. i thought it was the holley pro-jection, so i took it off and slapped my carb on. it still did it. went to try another carb and noticed fluid on the backside of the carb. changed the vaccuum modulator as a friend suggested and it was gone. worth a try. its cheap and easy to change. good luck, tmanofcali

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Valve stem seal. Mine does the same thing.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Yup, sounds like the valve guides (seals) to me. That is what my '87 tbi 350 has been diagnosed with, but that is to be expected after 180,000 miles on the original motor (hell, it might even be the original oil! j/k)

7. My 90' model does the same thing. I was told the same, valve stem seals.

8. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

It IS the valve stem seals, but what a lot of folks don't realize is that these trucks came from the factory with the defect! I forget whether the seals were a poor fit or deteriorated very quickly, but it was a HUGE goof for GM. Many, many vehicles with 350's spanning a couple of years were affected at the time. This was fixed for the 1991 model year, however.

9. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

sounds like a chevy to me/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    that puff has been pattented as chevy blue

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You actaully have TWO problems. One is that you most likely need to replace the valve stem seals. But the real clue is in the rest of your entry. You need to yank off a valve cover and determine why the oil is not draining through the head quickly. You should be able to pour oil into the filler as fast as it will come out of the bottle. The valve cover should not fill up with oil. Sounds like there is a bunch of sludge in the engine. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Valve stem seals, and like HarryH3 mentioned, something is clogging the holes in the heads to make the oil not drain properly. This could also have an effect on how badly the steam seals leak by the oil being pumped up faster then it can drain down and submerging your seals. Then it would really smoke! I am not absolutly sure about if it could happen or not, just an idea. Get in there and find out.

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you mean its not like that stock!?!?/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

mine blows smoke too, its just one of those things

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My 87 blows smoke just likt yours does...But I would lookin into the oil drainage thing a bit more...you don't wanna suck your pan dry cuz all the oil is stuck up in the heads...I'd yank the heads, and get a valve job, replace the seals and see if that helps...

Chris

14. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My 87 burb does that as well and it only has 60,000 original miles on it. Its the valve seals.