Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blue K5 seatbelts, 6 lug 14SF wanted

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by dyeager535, Aug 13, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Blue seatbelts...only need the female ends for the front, in good shape. Will buy whole set if necessary. Has to be K5.

Anyone in the WA area got a 14SF laying around, or know someone that does?

Friend needs to replace one he's got, obviously wants 6 lugs/right gear ratio to make the swap economically viable.

Just updating, all the below posts are not really applicable anymore (205 apparently uses same rear output all years)

Still looking for a 6 lug 14SF in WA area, 3,73 preferably. :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If you can't find a 6 lug, consider this, pick up a cheap 8 lug and convert it to 6 lug. If the shafts are the standard length, I can get you shafts from Randy's Ring & Pinion and we (BWP) make a 14SF 6 lug disc brake conversion kit. I know it's not the cheapest way to go, but it might help make your search easier. :dunno:

3. dyeager535

Bump, hurting for that elusive 205 :(

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming you need VSS parts? If so, I'm no help. If you need something else, PM me.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

what do you need for the 205?

6. dyeager535

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what I need. Problem though is this:

The case came out of a 1991 one ton, 4L80E truck. The output of the tranny and the adapter were broken (completely through) and the input of the 205 was bent. Visible when turning by hand. The truck was beat incredibly hard, lets just say that. Stolen and driven like it I suspect. Got my hands on a good 205 input from someone on this board, at least it was said to be good, and I have no reason to doubt them. Visibly it was 10 times better than the one that was on there, didn't notice any "wobble" like the original one.

Now that it's on the truck, ONLY with the case in neutral, the rear output (only) and rear driveshaft move up and down perhaps 1/16-1/8". This is at idle, with the tranny (465) in neutral as well. I can put all my weight on the driveshaft and not stop this movement. 2 or 4wd the wobble stops. From my understanding of how power is transferred, and the way this problem is evidenced, it can ONLY be an issue with the input or output shafts and their supports.

My somewhat educated guess is that the output shaft is bent, likely the "stub shaft" tip of it that rides in the input needle bearings. Since this is the non-cable case, and GM doesn't sell the pieces anymore, it's hard to know if the earlier 205 stuff (which I have as spares) will fit in place, at least temporarily to see if an output swap solves it. With the roller bearings of the input/output not being a real precise fit, it would seem that any sort of measurement of runout would be fairly pointless. But in using the same case, swapping only the input, even the roller bearings could be faulty, but at something like $30+ for each bearing, I'm inching closer to the territory of a known good case of that vintage. (at least in my mind, since a spare case is never a bad thing)

Reality is that it would PROBABLY run as is for a long time, but with the reluctor ring, that's just one more potential failure point if things don't line up just right.

So anyways, the later output, complete, along with knwon good input/output bearings couldn't hurt. I can't even find info to say if the rear output shaft stayed the same and the reluctor ring was made to fit what already existed, which would obviously solve my problem. This time of year though, tearing this thing apart outside is not something I'm looking forward to. Complete known good case would eliminate any other potential issues though, which is why I'm open to that.

All that long winded stuff aside, what do you have? :)

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

have you posted up ? in the garoge section on possible swap to older case but use the vss stuff on that one. as the vss cases are vary vary rare.

8. dyeager535

BTT :)

Read first post, edited for current situation.

9. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I can vouch for the shafts that shane from BWP sells. I bought a set and love mine!

DSC00334.JPG

10. dyeager535

Come on, you know how it goes: guy loves to wheel, guy gets married, has a kid, now no money to do the stuff he loves. Right? :)

If it weren't for the brake issue new shafts alone would be fine, but either way (disk or drum) it's additional money he REALLY doesn't have.

I'm starting to feel a bit lucky that my 6 lug 14SF "only" cost $300 and was the right ratio. Even if the gov-lock didn't work right lol.