Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blue smoke from one tailpipe on fresh engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarnivoreMan, Feb 8, 2006.

1. CarnivoreMan

CarnivoreMan Registered Member

Hey all. I bought my 72 K5 from a guy with a supposedly fresh completely rebuilt engine in it.. like make 3k on it. I've had it for a few months but on drive it occasionally. About a month ago I fired her up and noticed its smoking a lot of blue out of one tailpipe. I think the passenger side. It seems to do it most on initial warmup, then subside. It will puff out more smoke though if I rev it all all.. :(

Its got a 4 speed with a granny low so there's no funky vacuum crap is there?

My brother said I may have cracked a ring if I over heated it. I was screaming through our field with it previous to the smoking problem. I think my temp guage isnt functioning properly as it didnt get very warm during that time, and it should have been toasty.

Anyway, let me know if I left out some critical info.
    Thanks

2. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

i think blue smoke is oil being burnt? im not sure someone should be here to correct me

3. CarnivoreMan

Ya, blue is typically oil... I'm just hoping I dont have to do a complete teardown... but I'm worried I may :doah:

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Did you pull the plugs on that side to check color/deposits? How about a compression and leakdown test?

5. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

also not a good idea to scream through fields on fresh motors. Tsk tsk!

6. CarnivoreMan

My brother and I went through the plugs and a few blackish with oil... I'll do a compression test next...

And its not my fault! My buddy would get his priddy white rig in the mud if I did...

I think next time I'll resist the peer pressure :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll see what I can find out and update the thread

7. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

my 82 blazer had the exact same problem. It was a bad wire which caused the plug to fire sometimes and not at other times, so when it wouldn't fire, I guess the cylinder would fill with "stuff" and then when the plug fired it would burn it and come out the passenger side pipe...problem went away after I replaced the wires...cool.