Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blue smoke, no power after SHORT drives, cuts off....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jul 17, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

These are the problems with my truck. It started today on the drive home. I have a M1008 with 45K on the odometer. I was driving and it steadily seemed to slow down. It just lost power. After sitting for a minute, it will run fine again, then after it gets into second gear, it starts to cut out again. It has a blueish smoke from the pipes, and seems to run a little rougher and quieter than it used to. I know the air filter needs to be changed, but if it were that I would expect a more constant power loss. Help me out cuz I'm on a budget of ZERO DOLLARS.

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like a fuel filter is plugging up ?

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

You sure its blue smoke and not white smoke. Blue smoke is burning oil, and nothing else. White smoke is from either water in the fuel which may very likely be the case here, or low combustion temps causing incomplete burning of the fuel. Try running the tank almost dry and fill up somewhere else other than where you usually get fuel, or put some sort of additive in that will "dry out" the fuel. Good luck

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well, I changed the fuel filter today. Now it starts without ether and the "water in fuel" light went off. As far as fixing the stalling problem, it did not. Also, it's black smoke, instead of blue like I said earlier.

5. BlueBlazer

If you know the air filter needs changed, then change it and see what happens.

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

that didn't do it either...any other ideas? one guy says it's a cracked rubber fuel line. I guess i get to track that down now.

7. mirage

mirage Registered Member

Have you been through the troubleshooting guide on TDP?

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Maybe the mech lift pumps going out.

9. BlueBlazer

Im having a little trouble understanding whats going on here after I read your posts a couple times. You say it stalls, but then you say its just losing power. If its just losing power then heres what I think. You said you are getting black smoke, which is from a lack of air or a fuel injection problem such as a bad injector or retarded timing. If you had a bad lift pump or a cracked hose, the result would not be black smoke since you would have a shortage of fuel, not excess fuel to cause black smoke. You need to check your actual timing with a diesel timing light or at the very least see that the pump timing marks are still aligned. It could also be a stuck timing advance piston which is very common on these pumps. These would cause your engine to stay at base timing until the piston loosens up. Until it loosens up, you will have retarded timing especially at higher engine speeds. It also wouldnt hurt to remove the injectors and have them tested which is very cheap. If it is your advance piston, try running a good diesel fuel additive through it if you dont already to see if it frees up, if not, then you need a rebuilt pump.

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ether... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Be careful with that stuff. I started mine on ether for a long time. When ya put too much in it sounds like its going to explode.....and it could!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

This truck is VERY moody. When I picked it up, it ran perfect. I put 10 bucks worth of fuel in it and drove it home. No problems except I couldn't run over 45 because it's a M1008 and I didn't want to push it any harder than that. Well later that day, I drive it halfway back and it acts like the transmission is slipping to begin with. We rule out that problem at the next stop sign. Further down the road is a really small hill. The truck wouldn't go faster than 25 up it, even with the pedal on the floor. We drive it back home and put the 37" Goodyear M/T Hummer tires on it. We then take it for a test drive. We made it 300 yards to the stop sign and it cuts off. After sitting there for a minute and about burning up the starter, it comes back to life, only this time it sounds like a 350 with a slight knock to it. It sounds nothing like a diesel. Since then, the truck has stayed the same, no matter what we did to it. It has emitted every possible color smoke from the exhaust. It actually ran good for a mile the other day after re-bleeding the fuel lines. The filters did nothing for it, and although the fuel filter was blocked up, it doesn't run any different with a new WIX fuel filter. We're almost thinking the injection pump is gone, but we can't afford to repair it. The truck belongs to the Sheriff's Department and they have a couple more of them sitting at the Garage, so I'll see if I can just go rob one from one of those trucks.

[ QUOTE ]
    It could also be a stuck timing advance piston which is very common on these pumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it runs great until it's been rolling down the highway for about 1/4 of a mile, then it seems like it's starving for fuel. It will slow down a bit, then run good again, then slow back down until it reaches a happy medium of where it's getting a proper fuel/air mixture to run decently.

12. BlueBlazer

Did the truck sit for a long time before you bought it? If so, I really think you could have a lot of water in your fuel system. Its the only thing I can think of that would cause the problems that you are having.

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

It's not really mine. It's the local Water Rescue's truck, and I'm a member of the dept. and I volunteered to do all of the maintenance on the truck since all we have is old school Burb's and this 1 ton. The truck is a loaner to us from the County, and technically it still belongs to the military, as they loaned it to the county. It has sat up for a while because no one likes to drive it except for me. How would I go about removing water in the tank? I've heard alcohol works, but that's with gas engines. I have no idea what effects it would have on a diesel.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There should be a drain of some sort in the fuel line I think. I seem to recall reading something about it in my Chilton's. IIRC it's on the passenger frame rail somewhere.

Diesel is lighter than water so the water would sit at the bottom of the tank. If the truck sits for a bit and you were to drain a bit the first fluid coming out would be water if there is any in the tank.

Rene

15. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Look behind your rear passenger tire. Shouldn't be hard to spot.