Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blue smoke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Sep 1, 2004.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i know it is not a k 5 but my 1993 S-10 blazer blows blue smoke when i start it up but only after it has been sitting for a while. It does not do this when it is running what could this be ??

2. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Sounds like valve seals

3. 1979jimmy350

are these hard to change or am i going to have to take the heads off

4. big jimmy 91

They are a pain to replace , you will need a compressor and an adaptor to go in the spark plug to pressurize the cylinders one at a time so that you don't drop a valve
    You do not have to remove the heads to do this
    I have used the rope trick once and will never do that again /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif
    If you need a full explanation just let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 1979jimmy350

sure a full explanition would be nice

6. big jimmy 91

take out all the spark plugs
    take off valve covers
    use comp. air to hold the valves up one cyl. at a time with a spark plug adapter , get your valve springs off , remove and replace your valve seals , re-assemble the valve train ,do this to each cyl. until you have them all changed
    you will need a valve spring tool to get it done
    if I forgot anything I hope someone will add it in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So would that be basically the same procedure in a 81 Z22 Nissan four banger? My run-around pickup is starting to run off of oil instead of gas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm getting about 250 miles to the quart. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Oh, and I'm afraid to ask, but what exactly would happen if a valve fell? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. big jimmy 91

I'm not sure about a nissan , it might be the same , never touched one of them /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Dropping a valve down the cyl. could result in removing the head to get it out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif (never had that happen either)
    Hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jds_lpd

jds_lpd Registered Member

When replaced them use the o-ring design and the unbrella design you will have double oil seal. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i know it is not a k 5 but my 1993 S-10 blazer blows blue smoke when i start it up but only after it has been sitting for a while. It does not do this when it is running what could this be ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave it alone, Its fine I promise. It will just do it again in 35-40k miles. My 4.3 has done this for the last 250k miles. I've got 303k miles now. I burn prolly 1/8 quart of oil in 3000 miles. If it bothers you, fix'em. If not leave it be IMHO.

John

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My run-around pickup is starting to run off of oil instead of gas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm getting about 250 miles to the quart. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That's probably bad rings.

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That's not what I wanted you to say. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Try some "Lucas Motor Oil Treatment"--its pricey at 7 bucks a quart,but the stuff does work--one guy I know has an old toyota pickup he got for free because the previous owner forgot to fill it up with oil all the way after an oil change(his phone rang,he got sidetracked,and had a few beers while yakking on the phone)next thing he new the motor was making bad noises,then he remembered he forgot to put in the other 3 qts of oil!--it smoked pretty bad after that,so bad he couldnt drive it without getting tickets for excessive smoke,so he gave it to my friend when he heard he was going to scrap it.He runs 2to3 qts of lucas and the rest 20/w50 motor oil,it hardly smokes at all now,and he has driven it 15,000 miles already in the last year! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif