Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BlueBlazer62: Questions about your transmission setup

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Danno, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Hey! I just noticed in your sig that you're running the sm465 with your diesel. How do you like that? What kind of mileage do you get?

I've got a 700R4 that I want to rip out of my truck. I absolutely HATE that automatic! Did you do a conversion, or did you truck come with that tranny from the factory?

Thanks!

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I love the manual tranny. The granny gear is great for off road and parts are cheap and I can beat the hell out of it and stlll not worry about it. The only thing bad about it is there are only 3 usable gears on the street so the spread on the ratios is pretty far apart which is bad for diesel. It takes a little while to get up to speed ( not really that bad ). If you had a turbo on it it would be no problem, its just that the NA 6.2s rev pretty slowly and having the gears far apart doesnt help. The tranny and t case were already in there when I bought the truck. Somebody along the line swapped out the 700r4 and 208 case for the 465 and 205 case. Since it was already in there, I cant give much advice on the swap, but I know there are a lot on the boards who have done this that could help. Everything will be exactly like the gasser swap except for the flywheel.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

3. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Cool... My dad used to have a '76 3/4 ton pickup with I think the sm465, so I know what you mean on the gear spread.

What's your final drive ratio? Do you drive on the highway much, and if so, what kind of mileage and top speed do you get out of that truck?

Thanks for the info/help. I'm in the process of planning for a tranny/T-case swap next summer (or sooner if my 700R4 goes to the junkyard in the sky before next summer), and I'm trying to figure out the most economical solution. I'd love to get an NV4500, but those are pretty expensive! Hehehehe...

Anyone else have experience with ripping the auto out of a K5 and slappin in some left foot stabbin' lovin'?

4. BlueBlazer

I have 4.10 gears in it with 35" tires. I drive about 25 miles round trip to school everyday on the highway and about 5-10 in town everyday. I still get around 20 mpg depending how hard I am on the throttle. I do 70-75 on the highway (actually my speedometer cable broke a little ways back, but I figure Im doin that fast because Im always passing people ). Do the swap, youll be glad you did.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings

5. BlueBlazer

Another thing, if and when you decide to do this swap for your sake put in a hydraulic clutch bellhousing and the rest of the factory hydraulic setup. Much easier on the left leg and doesnt get bound up rockcrawling like my manual linkage.

6. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Wow... If my final drive ratio is pretty close to yours (after taking into account I have 31" tires and 3.42 gears vs. your 35" tires and 4.10 gears), I'm definately going for an sm465!

Thanks for all of your help! I now have direction in life! Hehehehehehehe...

Yeah, hydraulic clutch assembly all the way.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires