Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BlueKnight K50 project started

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by BlueKnight, Aug 5, 2003.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Just recently came across a deal on Rockwells or usually known as RW's I am getting a set of front and rear 2.5 ton rockwells for half the cost of a Dana 60 used. Blue Knight will be indestructable(hope,hope,hope). I weighed the cost of a Dana 60 then the locker and the gears for the 14ff I have and its locker and this is a better set up.I am also detailing the hell out of the build up from start to finish. Detailed photos commentary to. This isnt first I have heard of a chevy Transplant or have been able to find.Just it will be detailed. Everyn nut and bolt and receipt I have will be added up. If you are interested in helping with the swap let me know. Once we are done I am entering it in the TTC either for 2004 or 2005. Well at least submitting it for nominations. I will also have really nice beefy 10bolt and 12 bolts for sale once they are pulled out. They have 5.13 gears in them.

Think a 203/205 would get my rpms down a bit?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

so you ready to start bending sheetmetal eh? cant wait to see it

how long till you start working on the swap? when do you get your axles

obtw. there have been pictures on ck5 of Chevs with 2.5's i was just looking at one the other day with 4 wheel steer. dunno where it went though... Nonetheless its a bad ass swap.. anxious to see it.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

RW's in a chevy... old news. Theres 4 that I know of.

3 have been linked on this site in the last 2 weeks, LMAO!!!
    the idea is still cool, just not the first.

4. BlueKnight

No im not the first chevy with RW's but i will be the first Chevy with detailed info on the swap pics the works. Everyone has like photos of hey look what I got, then poof they are installed and then hey check out the finished project. WTF happened to all the Sh^*&^ that happened in the middle. I will be possibly doing a 203/205 twin stick. I want to stay with the 42's 44's stick out to far. Although I might do flares with the rockwells. im also talking to a guy here in portland on some but his price is out of line.

As for starting already in the mix. I will need to talk to some people about paying for gas and wear and tear to South Cali for a road trip.

Sheetmetal NAHH I'll just go over it or crush it with the weight. Actually once I have bulletproof drive train and engine tranny I have no problem challenging some more serious trials. sheet metal ill save for events. The pain is getting old and I was just realizing how many dents I already have.

5. Silver84k5

dude, i dunno about running over and crushing,. but regardless of how big your rig is you will be bending sheetmetal.... if you plan on TTC and if you are voted in. your rig will get smashed... Ask waddel... im sure he has some input... I dunno your sheetmetal looks pretty straight. and im not questioning your ability to smash it up.. but i will belive it when i see it i guess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and i am looking forward to seeing it. I love seeing that crap. and im sick of doing it all the time. i need to see somone else do it... and i know Cassidy (basically the guy i wheel with most of the time) Doesnt want to do that.... and i cant blame him.. hell after going to sandlake twice. im already starting to get in the mood of doing body work and a paint job, and have a good lookin rig like his....

but all im sayin is... Be prepared to get dents and scratch's if you want to hit some of the more hardcore trails,,,, oh yea and dont forget to call me when your going out. I want to see it....

I could give you a hand sometime if ya need it... i dunno about drivin to Socal though..... i cant do that lol.

6. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Keep us informed on your progress. I have been trying to get my mind bent around the idea of a huge truck for some time now. I happened across USA6x6.com and immediately started spinning on the idea of RWs and 52 inch military tires. I used to think that anything over 33s was stupid...Until I got 35s. I did some very rough numbers and figure that to use the 52s, I would have to lift my truck 17 inches and would still see the bottom of the door plate at 42 inches off the ground. Does that bring to mind the vision of a Samuri on 44s? I was just given a 74 Blazer with no running gear and some work to do (front floors are gone). Would the cool factor be enough to make it worth while? What are your thoughts?
    T-roy /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. BlueKnight

Yes dents upon dents. its TTC of course ill get dents. But its ok. I have friends that do body work and the paint is old. I still have the original rollover dents.

It will be highly detailed this one. I will keep everyone informed and I will have an unveiling party so everyone can pick at it and see it done. I have heard there are some great full size rockwells transplants done but no back story on it. Just beginning pics and ending pics. I will post mostly on the pnw board and BlueKnight's site with occasional updates here.

Having a clean truck is nice. Having a truck that is capable is better having a clean truck and capable is a nice combination. I've already made customs emblems for "K50"

See alot of my wheeling I had a pussy engine that couldnt push itself out of the way due to exhaust system from hell. vacuum leaks and a torched dist.Watch our club video as Shannon is directing me over a rock. Shannons say floor it.. I say it is floored and im not moving. Rob fixed all of that and we redid the entire top end and put a Righteous exhaust system on it. BTW your full of shi$ this myth that headers are only good for top end. I have so much more bottom end torque its like night and day. And I have 300hp nitrous kit so 750 approx on the bottle and 450 all throttle. This will be the last mod(yeah right) next mod will be if im nominated for TTC is getting a team to help me with it and finding a co driver that knows ROCKS and directing full sizes. This will probably be one of the most budget minded TTC entrys out there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yes and removing the gadgets and communications gear in it. So it will be col to be up to my neck in water and mud. Even if im not nomd I will still take it to Blazerfest and Rubicon. It will become and off road rig 90% of the time.

Im still working out the drive train im thinking of a 203 205 twinstick and reversed 203 for an overdrive effect.

wonder what my final drive ratio is for crawling...

any ideas on t cases?

8. Silver84k5

dont flip the tcase. just run a little slower on the highway..... plus if your budget minded, its not too cheap to flip the 203 around.... if your running Rockwells. Run 44 boggers. theres no point in running 42 inch swampers in ttc.. sure Stephens rig did well. but notice what the boggers do in the tank trap.

as for the NOS.... is your bottom end gonna be up to spinning RPMS that NOS creates???

9. BlueKnight

It sohuld be but by the time TTC nominations come around I will have rebuilt the bottom end. Yes I was thinking 44' boggers would be a great choice for TTC. Well I hardly gov over 65 in the beast now. To much metal to stop suddenly that nad everyone cuts your safety barrier .

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it will be great, good luck with the work. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. reedmit

reedmit 1/2 ton status

Get these tires for the TTC. They are 49" tall x 21 wide.

12. BlueKnight

Actually I was looking at firestones DOT approved terrastyle tires they are 47x21.

13. BlueKnight

Just to let you know. I just started the process of detialing everything. You can find it at http://blueknight.alloffroad.com/k50.html

Keep in mind some of the backstory on the rockwells has been gathered from the net. So it may be in accurate. Im still researching it. If anyone has the links to those other chevy builds up that would be cool. Also there is a audio track im futzing with of my Exhaust on the Vido cap page.

14. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

You are planing on 4 wheel steer, right? Without it your turning radius will suck from what I've seen and heard.

15. BlueKnight

Actually Im talk with someone who was a really great steering set up on his rockwells. No 4 wheel steer is so damn expensive and comlicated. I looked into it.

16. BlueKnight

21/49/17 464.00 a piece. Are they DOT?

17. Silver84k5

18. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

project sounds sweet..but on your page it says k5 is 1/2 ton, k10 is 3/4 ton and so on...just thought id shoot you that heads up, k10 is 1/2 ton...

oh btw, SWEET PROJECT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. BlueKnight

your right k10 is half ton. I'll fix