Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blueprinted 383 Stroker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moneypit, Sep 20, 2000.

1. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I aquired a 383 blueprinted motor today from a friend for $1oo bucks!! what a deal. he parted out his truck and I was the lucky one.. Supposedly the motor has 40,000 on it and the heads were redone 1,000 miles ago due to a blown head gasket. I just have a few questions...What about the bottom end???should I replace bearings,pistons,rings,cam etc???what kind of Horespower and torque should I expect from this??? I would like to spend only enough to make it FRESH so I don't have to mess with for a long time.. Also any good machinists that can be trusted in COLORADO to do necessary work to motor??? Problem#2 10 Bolts will they be destroyed from excessive power?? I have blown them both once and spent lots of cash to have them done stronger but probably not strong enough for what they are about to experience.. I 4 wheel it very hard and havent had any problemms with them for over 2 years now. HELP PLEASE!!! Thanx Guys!!!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Man I'm jelous!!
    If that motor is balanced then you won't have to to didly squat to it!!The bottom end any way!
    Having it balanced will extend the life of the bottom end another life time! 40K miles is nothin!! I would just clean it up replace the oil pump and all the gaskets for the oil pan ,timing cover,slap on a new water pump, etc.....
    Great power and torque so try not to 'Hammer' it ease into the power band then nailit that way your 10 bolts won't snap!! Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My guess is, as long as your foot isn't too heavy, and your tires aren't too big, you'll PROBABLY be OK.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

thanx Burt4x4 for info. I found a place to take it apart and reseal it. while there in there they are going to replace (if needed) all bearings, rings and seals along with inspecting all parts for ??? they seem reasonable $500-$800 for parts and labor and reassembly. I can't wait to drop it in!! maybe now the moneypit will get out of its own waY!!! I'LL let you know how she rips when its done.

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

dude i'll give you 200 hundred for it.........Deal?
    I'm jealous too............JS

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

$100 what an iddiot!What motor are you running now?If your swapping from a 350 remember you need to use the 400 flexplate or fly wheel.That is if it is a 400 crank ground down.I have a 350 I would like to build a 383 out of.I am also kind of afraid of tearing my 44 and 12 bolt apart.I am running a 305 rebuilt and bored .040.I have had no probs. so far.But I don't have a lot of ponys.My wives 400 in her sub will smoke my Blazer.Brady

7. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the tips. does anyone know what kind of HP this motor should put out?? I know that Madcap racing did all the machine work when it was built. Also is this going to require 92 octane(that would suck)??

8. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

if you run 92 octane you are just wasting money... any good motor will run on low grades of pump gas.now if the comp. ratio is above 10:1 then you will have to move up to the next grade of fuel. although, every motor is like a good woman, you may get one with a bad attitude or one that wants good wine every night at dinner.....
    the power output depends on intake, carb or fuel inj.,camshaft, comp. ratio,head chambers,and even port and polish make a difference. I would have to say that any 383 is capable of starting out at around 300 hp. it all depends on how it's set up.

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT