Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bluetorch 14FF Diff Cover.... WTF!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappy88, Oct 28, 2003.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Just got a Bluetorch Fabworks diff cover for my 14 bolt. This thing is damn heavy and very nicely done. But I wish they actually did some measuring and put down the crack pipe before they drew up the design because the damn ring gear is rubbing on the cover!!!!!! And not by just a little bit, I mean a lot! The cover won't seat on the axle housing by well over 1/4". WTF!

Anyone else bought one of these covers? I'm waaaaaaaaay pissed off right about now. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what the hell is up with this. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have one sitting on the kitchen table, I'm gonna go try and put it on for the first time now.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

after runing outside in my underwear and sneackers in the rain to discover IT DOES RUB! I am gonna call too.

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Do you by any chance have thick gears? I have a strange feeling that might have something to do with it. I have 4.88 thick gears on mine.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

factory 4.10s. I think mine just rubs. I only put two bolts in and didn't tighten. Then I turned the pinion and it rubbed. I can't bolt it on right now thanks to sleeping medicationm but I was able to put two bolts in and turn the pinion and it rubs.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thick gears won't affect the distance the gear sticks out. Thick gears only go out more, hence the name "thick gears." /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I know that. What I mean is that since the gears are sticking out to the right of the carrier more than factory gears, that maybe it is hitting a part of the cover where it starts to taper down. Maybe they didn't take thick gears or 4.56 factory gears into consideration when they designed the cover.

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    after runing outside in my underwear and sneackers in the rain to discover IT DOES RUB! I am gonna call too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny dude, good luck with the fit....

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know that. What I mean is that since the gears are sticking out to the right of the carrier more than factory gears, that maybe it is hitting a part of the cover where it starts to taper down. Maybe they didn't take thick gears or 4.56 factory gears into consideration when they designed the cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good thought, but it doesn't hold water. Thick gears do not go any farther to the pinion side than normal gears, they are thick to compensate for the flange that the ring gear bolts to being offset farther to the other side. For the gear to stick out any farther to the pinion side the pinion would also have to be moved over.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    For the gear to stick out any farther to the pinion side the pinion would also have to be moved over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The pinion is smaller for lower geared R&P sets. The ring gear could very well be moved over a little further. In that case it wouldn't be because of the thick gears used, just the low ratio. No matter which ring gear you use, a lower geared axle is gonna have a smaller pinion.

Might only be a few thousandths we're talking here, but I'd think that the ring gear would be over to the right hand side just a hair so it can mesh with the smaller pinion.

I *could* be talking out my ass here, but the way it looks inside an axle housing, what I've said makes sense to me.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

What you're saying makes perfect sense, but I was under the impression that we were talking about thick vs. thin gearsets, not different ratio sets compared to one another.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What you're saying makes perfect sense, but I was under the impression that we were talking about thick vs. thin gearsets, not different ratio sets compared to one another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well both kinda go together. To get a lower ratio with a stock carrier, you go to a thick gearset....so typcially, the "thick" gear is gonna be a lower gear than you started with.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

We're just arguing semantics. I realize that a deeper gearset will have a ring gear that's closer to the centerline of the pinion, but that wasn't the point that I was making in my post. I understand what you're saying and I agree. Either way, be it because of a thick gear or just a deep gearset, I don't think that that small amount that the ring gear is moved over is the cause of the diff cover not fitting. Sounds to me like the cover was just made improperly.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. Either way the product should work. Since it won't work with stock 4.10 gearing obviously there is an issue with it.

16. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Could it be that after the made it that they fly milled it to have a true surface and this caused the difference in the dimensions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Could it be that after the made it that they fly milled it to have a true surface and this caused the difference in the dimensions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enuff to cause a 1/4" problem. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

hehe....Another reason to buy Jethro-Bilt. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Crap, I was seriously going to install mine tonite. I wasn't going to bring this up, but when I put my front on, one of the bottom holes was about 1/8" off, just enough so I couldn't get it in. So I had to wallow out the friggin hole on my new $150 diff cover. This is all with fresh RTV all over it. I called Bluetorch and they made my problem right...I think we just need to call them. Post up what they say, cause I'm not even interested in putting mine on if I have to reinstall the stock cover, cuss, spit, and throw things.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

You know your a redneck when::

[ QUOTE ]
    after runing outside in my underwear and sneackers in the rain

[/ QUOTE ]

just kidding,,, I couldent resist...

I was checking out those blue torch covers too but now I think Ill stick with the Crane plan.

20. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My MOO Diff Covers dont rub! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif