Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BMRA vs. my K5, round 2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Jan 9, 2007.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i assume most of the texas guys are familiar with bmra, near gilmer, tx. killed my k5's old 350 (snapped rod) the first time i went out there. but, now that i've installed and broken in my remanned 350, and it was time for a rematch. it did and awesome job.

it was fun to cruise right through an obstable when a group of jeepers is sitting there debating on whether to even try it with their lockers and (mild) lifts. even locked, my friend's 06 rubicon had trouble on some stuff that i didn't, because jeeps just all seem to have horrible articulation in stock form. i find that odd, considering it's supposed to be a purpose-built vehicle.

but, i'm not intending to rip on jeeps, here. just saying it's nice to have a trouble free day of wheeling. pretty pointless post, i guess.

on the trip out there, i did notice that the blazer has a pretty nasty roar and some vibration above 75mph. i really hope i did't tweak my frame or drivetrain during one of my recent offroad excursions. been doing a lot of mudding, locally, on the last few weekends.

2. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Which trails did you run?
    I cant wait to go back to Gilmer.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Im hoping ill be at gilmer some this summer.

4. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'd have to check the map (which is in the k5, at home, not here, at work) to remember all the trails we ran. first thing i did is led us to the hill that probably killed my old engine. we took most of it, but they had the very top fenced off :mad:. but, then, since it was his first full-day run in the rubi, and my first on the new engine, we ran "twister", "politician", "jeep eater", off the top of my head, since they always have some wierd offshoots and obstacles to the sides to play around on and test stuff out. "any given sunday" is fun at night. boring in the daylight, but good practice for basic navigation and maneuvering, once the sun goes down. about mid-way through the day, i think we did part of "weenie party" (i think that's what it's called) that had some tough stuff.

we'll probably be back out there, next month... well, maybe. we'll see how much gas costs by then.

5. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

The front swaybar is way too stiff. I just about double the articulation in my 04 Rubicon by disco'ing it. No clue why they put that on there, maybe because they're so little?

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

yeah, we were looking at it. that thing seems really thick for suck a tiny vehicle. he's looking at getting disconnects, but he's not sure what to do about the rear's bad flex. i think he just needs a lift, period. add flex and clearance. he was shoveling dirt with that monter of a transfer case skidplate, and his rear bumper kissed the ground on a climb or two. i have to say, though, that rubicon is a massive improvement over his '90 wrangler. personally, i prefer leaf springs offroad, but the coil springs are absolutely the way to go, on the pavement.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

take them off, its a jeep

"they're only junk, jeep"

lol

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Last time I was out there I broke the slip yoke on my 241. The only part I didn't have a spare for. Picked up the pieces and welded it back together and limped it back to Dallas. I know the satisfaction you feel right now. We are going to be up there for megarun in march.

9. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Currie anti-rock sway bar is really the best way to go with it. Then you get more front and rear flex both.