Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boat guys: Need some help please.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm in the process of researching how feasable owning a boat would be. Bottom line is, I can afford a decent used one. By decent, I mean a nice $7-9k boat and pay cash. My main concern is maintenance cost. Right now, the boat would be freshwater only, but as soon as I go back to VA, it will see saltwater. I'm aware of some boat-maintenance necessary, most of it dealing with cleaning up and flushing after being on the saltwater, and whatnot. I just need to get educated about regular maintenance and approximate cost.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Cost - more than you think :) haha

If you plan to do most work yourself, yearly maintenace should be reasonable. Once you have some special tools (like fluid pumps for removing non-drainplug fluids) you shouldn't have too hard of a time. Get one with a motor that you are familiar with (SBC). If you can pay cash for the boat, you can probably handle the maintenace costs. Where are you going to store it?

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well, I'm getting the cash to set aside from deployments. Once I'm done with my term, my income will be significantly less, hence why I was inquiring about the maintenance cost. I figure paying cash will take a lot out of the equation (no loan to pay off). The kinds of boats I'm looking at have anywhere from the for 3.0 V6 to the chevy 4.3, and are the I/O drive type.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What is your intention with this boat? LIke, what type of activities?

Shouldn't be hard to find a good 20ft V8 IO or direct Drive Ski boat for that price.

Hard to estimate maintenace costs on boats in general....

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have one with a chevy 305. Maintinace costs are minimal. Less than my late model truck, BTW. But the real money goes into winter storage. $71/month. Thats what I pay, don't know your circumstances.

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    It shouldn't be that bad. If you buy a boat you can tell if it was taken care of and don't push the price for a bigger boat that wasn't taken care of. Just take care of it real good and it should treat you the same. Don't screw up and winterize it if you even have a chance of freezing weather. Remember, the bigger them motor, the more gas and less you'll have for other things. Make sure you check the lower unit for ANY signs of leakage (ie milky oil) before you get it and if you can find one that is salt water ready but has never seen it, all the better. If it has been in salt water, make sure you check the manifolds for being rusted out inside.
    I'd say go for it. Now if you can only find some friends that will actually help you with the clean up when you come back in. That will be the trick :doah: :D

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Now if you can only find some friends that will actually help you with the clean up when you come back in. That will be the trick :doah: :D

You got that right!

Potato chips are outlawed!:doah:

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I never have worried about winterizing mine. I used to go out a couple of times each month during the winter. Had to hunt boat landings that weren't iced in several times!!! I just made sure the water drained out'a the Merc outboard when I loaded it up on the trailer, and kept my batteries charged.

9. Storm Trooper

Your lucky I guess but the difference is I live in a area where it can be -75F so I don't chance lucky. CRACK COSTS $$$$$

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, see yer point. Rare to get down to zero here. Sometimes it hits seventy during the winter months..................rare occasions!

11. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

boat = money pit something goes wrong with them almost every trip out

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The only problem I've had on the water was my grandfather's brother's boat. Dual I/O V-8's both of them took a crap while we were out at the bay bridge. Learned how to drive a boat when I was a young-un (7). My primary use would be for recreational fishing and skiing/wakeboarding. For the amount of cash I'm willing to drop on a boat, I was looking at an 18-20 foot bowrider. Driving a boat isn't a big deal for me, I've driven from an 8 foot jon boat to a 30' fishing boat. As far as clean-up goes, I was raised being meticulous about boat clean-up just like I was cleaning guns. I got made fun of Memorial Day weekend with how thorough I was cleaning my revolver, but if you do a good job cleaning something like a boat or a firearm (even after minor use), it lasts a lot longer with fewer problems.

Thanks for the tidbit about the lower unit, I take it the color of oil you're talking about is a lot like diff. oil with water in it?

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You'll be best sticking with a Merc powertrain, especially the drive... More than likely an Alpha out back on a boat like that... The 4.3 is a pretty good package.. And Merc parts are readily available...

As mentioned by Dave, take a peek at the exhaust, ESPECIALLY if its been a saltwater boat... Find out when and if the elbows have been changed...

Maintenence won't be bad if you do it yourself... oils, impeller, filters, etc.... a primary water/fuel seperator is always a good investment...

Make sure you jump around on the floor, boats of that nature have a tendency to have the floors rot, especially an off-brand... And check throttle/shift cables for smooth operation.. Also take a peek at the bellows for dryrot or cracking....

14. Storm Trooper

All fluilds should be the same look as your truck, you'll know.
    Be careful because some guys will change fluids and never put it back in the water while they sell it. You'll never know until you have it in the water.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some guys do and some don't, but insurance, registration andstorage fees add up so figure those n.

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Boats can be a pain in the butt, especially on an older boat like what you are looking at. This needs to be reapolstered, this pump won't come on, the starter and selonoid is rusted solid, there has always been something with our Cuddy Cabin.

Just remember....if it floats, F$%&, or flys...rent it.:D

17. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Hey Jagged just got this from Arizona Fish & Game Deprartment thougt you might want to check it out:

18. Storm Trooper

That's a dam good point. Thanks
    I forgot myself.

19. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Volvo-Penta outdrive.V-8 chevy. Get this powertrain in your boat and you won't regret it.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

20. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

um.. before my membership runs out I might be selling my father in laws boat parked at my shop...

its big... i/o monster v8..I think a 455 or 460.. its a day crusier (has the forward cabin)holds 6 ..or more.. fiberglass... thing has been parked here for three years covered...

Im thinking its like a 2500 dollar boat... it needs some sparkle but its all there.. and was never hurt

but holy ****.. the gas... probably be 100 dollar trips everytime out.. thats why the cheapo price .. and my father in law will never be boating anymore