Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boat info? firing into side of hull?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by LKJR, Mar 8, 2005.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Trying to do some mental design work on my subs for the boat. I've got 2 mtx 3000? or 6000? don't remember. but they are 10's

trying to figure out a way to put them in the boat where they are theft deterent. Weather resistant, and out of the way.

My thought here is building corner boxes behind the rear seat out of the way with the boxes standing vertically. maybe rounding the box on one corner (the one facing the engine bay) with the subs firing to the side of the boat using the space inside the side panels to carry the sound waves into the boat interior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

anybody? greg?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That would work.

I'm assuming that you can get enough airspace for the subs with the box you're building....and that the slot in the boatsides is roughly 10" tall?? From the boats I've been in ....that slot runs almost the whole length of the side, and is open to the air.... it's not going to cause any problems with the pressurized air escaping, so as far as the sub is concerned it IS playing into open space.

The only question in boats is HOW much power will it take to hear the stereo over the wind noise and motor.....and how much speaker surface area. (Will 10" be enough? Two 10's? more?)

The only way to find out is to build it. The nice thing about your design is it doesn't look like you're cutting anything....just build a box and drop it in....and see how it sounds.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well it is kind of a custom deal since the sides end at the seat backs or close to it. but yea, not that intrusive of a construction. Don't remember if I mentioned there is one on each side or not, and usual listening is anchored so I think it will work ok. just wanted some reassurance.

What do you think about half the box being curved?
    any chance of that interfering with sound waves inside the box?

5. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

1/2 of the box being curved is fine

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Curved is fine.

Remember, at these frequencies we are not really talking about a "wave". At 20Hz, you are talking about a wavelength of 56 feet!!!! Clearly that is not going to "fit" in your enclosure no matter how you build it!!! :D

Think of it more as creating "pressure" As long as the speaker has something solid to push against (the air inside the box)....it doesn't really care what shape it is.

OK, that's not really accurate....it's more about the speaker having a pressurized place to "land" when the cone is travelling back from each excursion. The smaller the box...the more resistance the speaker sees (this is mechanical damping....like a shock absorber) if the box gets too small, the speaker can't really travel very far in either direction before the air pressure (or vaccuum) stops it's progress... (kind of like a VERY stiff shock on your truck).....Conversely, a box built too big will not provide enough speaker control and things will probably sound "sloppy".