Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

boat repair!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wraenking, Oct 20, 2003.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok. quick story. i live at the beach in nj, and love to fish. 2 years ago i bought a 18' center console wellcraft with a merc force 120 hp. i love this boat, but the engine is getting water in one of the cylanders and i think the head needs to be shaven. i bought a chilton like book for the motor, but im not confident in my marine repair abilities. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anyone have any knowledge of using a vo tech school to fix my engine? i hear they look for people to bring in their engines. is this something i should tackle on my own??

i paid 8000 for it 2 years ago. i might be able to sell it for 2500 as is. i really dont want to . the hull is a 84' model, and the engine is a 99 with low hours.

this sucks

i could have bought a couple of k5's for that. lol

thanks guys and gals /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

How many hours are on it? Since you've owned it have you always had this problem? Have you ever over heated it? Has the boat always been witerized.

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i know it has somewhat low hours. it didnt always have the problem. i noticed late last september it was getting hard to start. so rather than be stuck off the jersey shore in an 18 ft center console in 40 degree water, i decided to pull it out and have it checked out, and thats when i found out. if i over heated it, i wouldnt know. the guy never hooked up the warning horn. it has been winterized since i have owned it. im looking at anywhere from 1500.00 to 2000.00 for a new powerhead, but of course am looking for cheaper options.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

take it to the votech..usually they charge you list price for parts and maybe 50 bucks to do the work...and always under the watchful eye of an instructor..

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

tell us what type of moter is in it in or out and size <font color="red"> a merc force 120 hp.</font> sorry /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

i say you do it it can not be too tuff you have the book and the kids vo tech may know less then you go for it you have all winter just run it hard in the back bay till it looks ok

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ramjet , i see you are in jersey also, i will drop it off next week and pick it up in say , may? i appreciate it!!!

j/k. i guess ill give it a go. ill let you kjnow what happens!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

its like a 4 cylinder chevy right? we have a 17' citation open bow runabout with a merccruiser 140 4 banger in it and we had to do the head on it once when we got it... cost like 1500 or something..we've had the moter out of it once when something else went on it cant remember what it was now but it was a rubber thing in the gear shaft..me and my dad did it and put it back on and its runnin good so far. you could take it to a school though..i go to one of those schools.and the teachers are always watchin what were doin and make sure they dont goof around..and usually kids dont when it comes to customer things..

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah...i went to a votech for an automotive program...we screwed around tinkering on our cars...but when it came time to work on shop vehicles or customers cars...it was 100% professional..

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

it is nothing like a chevy motor. you are thinking of an inboard motor. this is an outboard. i do think i should try it though. whats the worst that could happen?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Don't take it to votech, Out boards are a world of difference between a car motor. Before you take it apart do a compression check on it. Make sure you take lots of pictures and label all the parts and bolts when you get it apart. There are some places that sell rebuilt heads, let me look around for some info on them. I'm sort of thinking you have a cracked head. but you won't know till you get it apart.

11. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

my mechanic had it apart and pretty much said it needs a power head. i want to try to rebuild it myself. the votech is a outboard class. still up in the air /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why did your mechanic say it needs a new power head?
    Have you looked at the powerhead?
    Are the cylnders or pistons scored?
    Did you do a compression test? Did it vary a lot from cylinder to cylinder.
    IF you have any of the above problems Yes you need a rebuild.
    But
    If you were getting water in the cylinders and hard starting and the bores and pistons look clean and good it may just be a bad head gasket or cracked head.Blown head gaskets are a pretty comon problem on Force outboards. Pretty cheap and easy to fix. Just pull off the head. and put new gasket on.

If it turns out you need a power head it is easier to get one already rebuilt.
    If you do it yourself Do not cut corners and try to get by cheap! The lives of you and your crew may depend on your motor. A sized/broken engine miles offshore In rough seas is no fun. To rebuild your engine right will almost cost you the same as getting a rebuilt. By the time you pay for machining/boreing the block crank &amp; ect.
    These guys have good prices on powerheads.
    http://www.powerheadexchange.com/
    In my opinion. It is the easist and best way to go. Espically if you are "Not confident in your marine repair abilities" It takes some specailzed tools and some know how to rebuild an outboard.

13. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

I had this same problem on my 1998 Force by Mercury 120 outboard. It was the head gasket.