Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boat Staling Carb/Fuel Line?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NorCalKid, Mar 21, 2007.

1. NorCalKid

NorCalKid 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 1984 bayliner with a little volvo 4 banger and a 1 barrel solex. When I start it it runs perfect, but when I give it some gas it starts to skip and then dies. I am thinking it isnt getting enough fuel. So I took apart the carb and cleaned it all out, but it didnt work. The fuel lines are old and stiff and there is no filter so I am going to replace it and add a fillter. Do you think that this could be the problem? or is it something else? Any help or suggestions would be great
    -Thanks

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

you need to put a gauge on it and see if you are having a fuel pressure problem. I had a similar problem with an old flathead jeep. Turned out to be ignition breaking down under load

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It may be the shift interruptor switch. it is a little micro switch on the shift/ throttle linkage that momentarily kills the engine when shifting. This helps the gears to shift smoother.
    The switch may be out of adjustment. Or the cable to the outdrive may be binding and loading the switch causing it to cause the engine to stall completly.. If the shift cable to the outdrive does not move smoothly replace it.
    To test: disconnect the switch and shift gears if it does not stall when you shift you found your problem.
    ALSO
    Old gas can cause the problem. should be filled with fresh preimium fuel.
    Tune Up? Idle set correctly 650-700 RPM? Is the accelerator pump in the carb working? maybe time for a carb rebuild.

4. NorCalKid

NorCalKid 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just put in 3 gallons of new gas and I am pretty sure we ran the tank pretty dry last time it was out so the gas should be good. I have tried leaving it in neutral and disconecting the throtle/shift cable from the carb and reving it like that but it still stalls. How do I check if the cable to the outdrive moves smothly or not? The carb looked good when I took it apart and I cant remember what the idle speed is set at but I will check when I have time. I will also try to check the fuel pressure. If I remember right I can check by just diconect the line from the fuel pump to carb and put it into a container. Then crank the engine for 30 seconds and see how much fuel I collect. Thanks for the advice I will work on it tomorrow and see what happens.
    -Brennan