Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boaters! Need help/advice quick!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 7, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A guy just called me back about a Chris Craft with twin 327's that I saw in a classified ad, I'm going to go out to see it tomorrow.
    I know absolutely nothing about boats, but have wanted one for years, and the price on this one is right around my range...

What should I ask about? My former coast-guard and marine-minded friend at work told me to check the screws for any deformation or anything, check the engine compartment for proper venting, and check the bilge pump for signs of wear or lots of usage.

What else should I look for?

What should I ask him over the phone? I'm going to try to call the guy in a little while to get some more details (my wife was in the next room when he called me back, so I couldn't ask the right questions /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif).
    So far, I still need to get the year and model of the boat, and exactly what kind of work he thinks it needs (the ad said "Needs some work"), and if it comes with a trailer.

Some net searching for "Chris Craft twin 327's" turned up these ads with pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im' having crazy visions of sleeper weekends on the boat with the kids this summer...

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I assume this is an off-shore boat. Check for barnacles on the hull and the general condition of the hull(condition of gelcoat, signs of beaching etc).

Check all the wiring. Turn on all the lights, pumps, etc. Re-wiring a boat is a PITA.

Make sure the engines are cold and then try to start them and notice any trouble starting, idleing etc(just like a car)

Is it up to date on registration? Does it have a UHF radio?
    How long is it? I've never seen a Cris Craft on a trailer before since most of them are pretty big.

Is there A/C for the cabins? If not, then think twice about sleeping there in the summer....hope this helps...
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Looks nice. CHECK THE FLOOR EVERYWHERE FOR SOFT SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I would run a compression check on both motors, and look for overall cleanliness in the motor compartment. There should be an hourmeter for each motor, and inquire when the last overhaul was, and to what extent. Does it come with a trailer? Boats of this size and type require a yearound maintenance schedule, make sure it has been followed for the most part. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, good info, thanks, I'll check/ask all that.

I'm not sure if it's off-shore now that you mention it. The guy does live right near a big beach (I don't have his whole address yet, just general area). It's very possible he lives on the water and the boat's moored at his own dock.

I thought he said it was in his yard on a trailer, but I might be wrong, that might just be the mental image I'd conjured up before I talked to him. I was a little rushed on the phone. Waiting for another call-back...

When I first read the ad, I didn't even think about how big a boat with two chevy small blocks must be... I just pictured my uncles and brother in laws boats, uncles with an outboard, bro in law's with a 4 cyl volvo.

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Those boats are made out of wood. So make sure you check for rot. And if you do get it take all the crappy paint off of it and varnish it. Cris Crafts are damn good boats. My dad had one for a while. It had white paint so he took it all off, sanded and varnished the wood and it looked awsome!!!

Nick

7. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

goto BoaterEd and ask all the questions you need the mods are in NE so they'll now what is common for the area.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You guys rock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

GET A SURVEY! This is the kind of boat you could spend T-H-O-U-S-A-N-D-S on.[/b]
    boat= break out another thousand!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, I talked to the owner again. Nick (Unick) hit it, it's a wood boat. It's a '69 Chris Craft, 30' sea skip?? He wasn't sure of the model. The only ones I've seen on the net are cavalier and commander, nothing that sounds like what he said.
    I asked what it would take to make it sea-worthy and if he could see me putting it in the water this summer. He said yeah, just a tune-up and a galvanized pipe or bar between the rudders, right now it only has steering on one side. Other than that, he said the wood's fine, and something about the bilge, but I didn't understand it, I think it was a term someone with more marine experience would know /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif... Heck, if it's not that bad, maybe I can tune it up there, put in this rudder pipe, and cruise it closer to my town for a cheaper transport.

It's on land, no trailer. I'm waiting for a couple transporters to call me back... It's about 40 miles to my house, and I still need to figure out where to park it if this is even semi-realistic... Trying not to be too excited, the rug can still be pulled out from under me when I see it...

If it becomes too much of a money pit, I can sell it, too...

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Check out the stern drives really good. They have a screw about half way up to fill them and a drain plug at the bottom. Make sure there is no signs of any leaks, that they are full and the fluid is not milky from a water leak. Keep in mind that he can always change the lube in it and it won't take water in if it's never in the water. I would NEVER buy a boat out of the water. It needs to be put in the water and tested/driven. Also keep in mind that being in the north, if he didn't winterize it properly it could have a cracked manifold or block. If it has been in salt water for a long time, the manifold can rust out and leak into the cylinders which can obviously distroy the motor.
    Afterall, it rusted off the rudder possibly. I'd also do some checking on what kind of weight that boat is. Remember, a big boat is no fun if you can't afford to put gas in it.
    My friend had a 34' Laurs fishing boat with twin 454's. It took about $500 several years ago to fill it and you could burn it all off on a long over night trip. Dam, $500 in a day would freak me out, imagine what it would cost today /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif.
    There is many more things to check, like engine oil etc. but my fingers can only take so much of this typing. All I can say is be careful. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ill repeat the previous posters.

dont do anything without getting a survey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will save you a lot of grief. i just got done spendind 2,000 to rebuild my outboard. boats are an expensive hobby, so start out with something right the first time!!

13. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ill repeat the previous posters.

dont do anything without getting a survey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will save you a lot of grief. i just got done spendind 2,000 to rebuild my outboard. boats are an expensive hobby, so start out with something right the first time!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!!
    You need to get a experienced marine surveyor to go over it carefully. Since you pay for his services, he works for you, and is going to point out everything wrong with it, and things you need to consider before buying. He can also give you an idea of it's actual value, based on age, use, condition, etc.

If it was hauled out (put on land), it is usually for a reason. Repairs, bottom paint, etc. Needs work? Hmmmm...

A surveyor is much cheaper than the $$$ you will pour into the boat-hole when you start to find hidden problems down the road. Check with a few boatyards, and see what annual maintenance costs will be for upkeep, painting, etc.

A boat that age is probably direct drive, i.e. prop shafts exit through bottom of the hull. That means "stuffing boxes", the part that seals the water out, while allowing the shafts to turn. Ignore them, and you will be the proud owner of a submarine one day!

Then there's the prop struts, which support the props under water. They contain bearings, which need to be maintained. Since the boat is so large, any under water maintenance that needs to be performed will require hauling out, which means paying a marina $$$ to pick the boat up with their travel lift, and put it on blocks in their yard.
    Then there's yard fees. while it sits there being worked on.

If you are going to dock it in a local marina, check out what the costs will be. Some places charge by the foot, + hookups, fueling, pump-out services (poop removal from the on board tanks)

I've had several boats, and even the trailerable ones were $$$ down the road...

I'm not trying to poop on your parade, but all kinds of costs start to show up after you sign on the dotted line.
    Like insurance... Need to get a quote before hand.

Oh yeah, wood boats are beautiful, but = clean and varnish wood on a regular basis.

Teak wood? Repairs? Meet your new pal, Bob Villa. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

It's floating furniture, my friend...
    Good luck.

Byron

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Get a survey!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not buy a boat of that size without having it surveyed. You might end up with a huge lawn orniment. It is an old wood boat. There can be a lot of hidden damage. The stringers may be rotted. Hull may be unsound. Decks may be rotted. You cant tell just by looking at it. You have to know what to look for. If it has been used in the ocean, the engines may run good. But if doesn't have a closed cooling system there may be engine issues like rused manifolds, Clogged cooling passages ect ect. Gas tanks could be rusted out.
    Chris Craft are very cool boats and I love them BUT Restoring one can be very very expensive. You really need to know what you are getting in to.
    BTW the boat is a Sea Skiff. They were a very popular line. Basic Seaworthy ones around 30' that still need work sell for 10 to 15 K. Fully restored and modernized ones can go for as much as 50K depending on size and the year. They were made from 1954-1969. Came in sizes from 18' to 40'. 69 was one of the last years for wood hulled boats after that Chris Craft went to fiberglass.
    Wood boats require a lot of work and $$$$. You truly have to love them if you want to own one.
    If you just want a boat to take the family camping in. Rent a Houseboat. It is way cheaper in the long run.

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Here, try this BOATS as a comparison.
    [ QUOTE ]
    A boat that age is probably direct drive, i.e. prop shafts exit through bottom of the hull.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Oops, sorry, your right.
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's floating furniture, my friend...
    Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think I'm going to pass on this one. It might be a great opp, but it sounds like I'll be biting off more than I can chew if I get this thing and want to use it for pleasure.

Although, on the bright side, transport will only cost around $300. If I sink $300 into her to get it home and decide to sell it after minimal work on it in my yard, that might not be a bad deal...

I guess I forgot to mention, this boat's free (which is why it's right in my range)... He has to move and has run out of time to sell it, so is giving it away or leaving it for the next resident. That's why I figured I could pick it up and resell it without losing anything. I have time...

17. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Those boats from what I remember are worth a decent amount of money if you fix them up. If its only gonna be $300 GET IT and hold on to it for a while.

Nick

18. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Those boats from what I remember are worth a decent amount of money if you fix them up. If its only gonna be $300 GET IT and hold on to it for a while.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!!!

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ahhh geez, you guys are makin me wishy washy now.

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just yank on yer nuts and get the sumbitch!