Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boats and Boat motors..i need some advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chaz88K5, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Ok i am just in the planning stages since i have a few other projects to be done prior to even startin this one..but..last year i bought a house boat that my grandfather had built back in the 60's (my dad sold it about 4 years ago and i ended up buyin it back from the guy) and it has 2 chrysler inline 6 motors in it..on motor has a crack in the water jacket on the outside of the block..and both are very tired motors..now getting parts for them are very difficult if not impossible for a few things so what i had thought about doin is putting in a chevy v-6..it would make alot more space in the engine room with the v-6 and make it easier to work on...but my question is..what do i need to do to make it bolt up to the outdrive...i know the bolt pattern would be differnet from a chrysler to a chevy but i dont know what to do, who to ask, or even where to start lookin for a new outdrive if thats what i need or an adapter to make it work..it would really suck to have to change the out drives because they were compleatly rebuilt about 2 years ago..so if anyone could point me in the right direction /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

goto boatered.com to the tech-engine forum and ask the same question. A man named George Van Parys should answer. His word is just about gold when it comes to boating tech.

3. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about boats, but if there is room, drop in a couple of Slant-6 engines. They should bolt right up to the outdrive, and have a much better parts support base. You can also build them up pretty good.