Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Boatsiding" - how far up and still roll down windows???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, May 11, 2004.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

\"Boatsiding\" - how far up and still roll down windows???

I'm getting ready to replace the rusted out rockers on my trail toy with some 3x3 tube, but I really like the looks and idea of "boatsiding" to raise the rockers up. However, I still wheel year-round and it can get pretty nasty so I want to used full doors with roll-up windows.

My questions is, how far up can you boatside a rig (which includes cutting the bottom of the door) and still have enough room to completely roll down the window??? Does anybody have any examples of this. (yeah, yeah...I will be doing some measuring on my extra doors, but some pics would be nice....).

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Re: \"Boatsiding\" - how far up and still roll down windows???

Eli (weisel) has done this exact thing... PM him or maybe he'll jump in the conversation.

I "was" gonna do it.... but instead it seemed easier to just make some "tube doors"
    [​IMG]
    Marv

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, Eli went to the extreme limit of boatsiding and still having doors with windows that roll down. His rockers are pretty high. He had to move the bottom door hinge up a fair amount because the rockers went up into or past the standard bottom hinge location.

I was shocked when he told me he still had doors with window that would roll up.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Based on that description it doesn't sound like I will have any problems....wasn't planning on going past the stock lower hinge location anyway.

Hopefully Eli will post some pics (hint, hint...)

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

cut 1" off the bottom of the door, roll the window down and then cut it there and weld that 1" section back to the bottom of where you cut /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Then boatside up to the bottom of the door. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Eli (weisel) has done this exact thing... PM him or maybe he'll jump in the conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]
    eli is not a member so he cant pm back to you.

i will have him post when i get home for school
    cut about 1" off and there is a 1" wide support like 7" up and you can cut off up to that. tray to keep that support.

Andrew

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Ok. You can cut the door off really pritty high and still have functioning windows.

From the body line down 13 inches is the highest you can cut the door.

There is a bracket in the door that holds the window from rolling too far down. When I did my doors, I cut right at this bracket and removed it. Then I welded up a sheetmetal bottom for the door, and this became the "bracket" to stop the window from being rolled down too much.

Yes, if you plan on cutting this high, you will need to relocate the bottom hindge up (wasn't that hard really), on the door and on the cab. I think I moved my hindges up about 4 1/2 inches, but don't quote me on it.

If you want pics, I can't help you out for a week or two. My cousin with a camera went on vacation. PM me if you would want them.

boatsiding with working doors and windows is my clame to fame I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you using manual or power windows? I was looking at the extra set of power doors I have and it looks like the window motor sits pretty low....could probably still cut up to the bottom molding (about at the bottom of the exiting lower hinge). I'm guessing a manual window door allows more room.

After the trailride this coming weekend, I'm going to pull off my totally hashed passenger side door and do some experimentation with it /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif.

9. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Yes I am using manual windowed doors. I don't know anything 'bout the electrics. Sorry.

Experimenting is how I found how high I could cut my doors.