Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boatsiding up to the door hinges

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gotmud77, Jan 30, 2006.

1. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I have searched and found different post but not really any pics to speak of. I found some that used the factory doors but none that moved the door sill up to the bottom of the factory hinges. Any pics would be great. Inside,outside what ever is available.

Thanks,

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

x2 any posts haven't showed clear pics. the only threads i found were supersize's and russ's but not much info!

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'd also like a very detailed report on boatsiding up as far as possible with pics

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

There was also a user by the name wiesel? It looks like he isnot a member anymore. Maybe somebody has some pics of his k5.

5. kram

kram Registered Member

did the pic make it

ts this it?

320728_126_full.jpg

6. kram

kram Registered Member

i think these are from ck5

searched google

320728_128_full.jpg

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

weisels got pics up in webshots . http://community.webshots.com/user/weisel_77
    Hes a good guy , shows up to wheel when he can .

Look at the last pic in his fab folder , he moved the lower hinge up after he cut it off .

I got to go take some pics , was cutting on mine an hour ago . Not going too high , just to the bottom of the lower hinge . Damn wifey gets her way , she wants half doors for her days out LOL

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Eli (wiesel) has his up to the middle of the lower hinge and made his doors fit. I cut mine up to the same spot and made my doors fit too. I don't have anypics of my doors though.

9. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

That's funny, I've been researching this very thing and just recently PM'd this guy asking for some close-up shots, though this isn't technically boatsiding.

[​IMG]

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, that's my red and black POS. I'll try to get a few close-up pictures of what I did with the rockers.

As mentioned in my previous post, if you go up any higher you will have to start modifying the lower door hinge and then you will start having an issue with being able to lower the window all of the way. Originally the doors had power windows and the bottom corner of the window motor/regulator was just starting to hang out the bottom, but I had plans to convert to manual which gives a little more room.

There is around 5" cut off the bottom of the doors for reference.

I chose to go this route because I wanted the rockers raised, and I wanted to be able to use the 3x3 tubing as a slider to help protect the sides of the body. On a lot of rocker/slider installs if you keep the tubing in far enough that the complete door still closes then the tube does not stick out far enough to protect the sides, you would probably have at least 3" of fragile body panels that stuck out further than the slider.

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Most of the Zonies around here run high skids so that doors are no longer an option... Some examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marv

12. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

hey marv i notice the boatside pics are not plated. wouldn't a smooth plate be less likely to hang up on rocks than the attachment tubes exposed?

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yep... In fact most of these trucks still have big "sight holes" in the floor...:haha:

A smooth plate across the bottom would be a good idea... but usually, you just slide along the outer edge of the [==] tube... or the frame and crossmember hangs you before those tubes do...

Marv