Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bob the rear or stretch the wheelbase?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, May 8, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I cant decide if it would be better to bob the rear to the rear spring mounts or to just move the axle back 8 or 10 inches. Either way I want to get rid of the overhang and there are pros and cons to each one. Any thoughts?

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I think it would be better to bob the rear. Because as you lengthen wheel base, it gets easier to high center on obstacles and whatnot. And from some of the pictures i've seen of your truck you've gotten pretty darn close! if not actaully getting high centered. So my vote goes to bob the rear. You wouldnt really get much out of longer wheel base, bigger turning radius, but who wants taht? Only advantage would be, say, mud holes, and SOME obstacles. But cons outweigh pros i'd say for longer wheel base.

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd stretch the wheeelbase that way you could still put your top on and still have some "utility" out of it. bobbing it is a big step I think if your gonna go that route you should put a pickup cab on it and a short flat bed and sell that nice blazer body /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Bob it. If you stretch the wheel base the wheel looks wrong in the wheel opening /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of mine. It is stretched about 6 1/2 inches.

[​IMG]

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Bob's yer uncle,spot on and all that.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

bob it

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Do both. Cut a little out of the back, then relocate the extra.

Or just go 4 link and hang the sucker out there by itself /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Sandman

That might be what I do. If I do bob the rear, The tailgate section will just move forward so I can still run one. I also have a softtop so I could just shorten it up and make it work out. Moving the axle back a few inches would be pretty easy also. I could just cut the back of the wheel well some to make it still look OK.

The biggest problem I had at moab was dragging the rear on every steep climb. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Sandman

How did you move your axle back? Thanks.

12. Sandman

[ QUOTE ]
    Bob's yer uncle,spot on and all that.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Ask some of the guys around here what my gas tank looks like /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think if you try and go extreme one way or the other, then you run into complications. It's sorta like going with a bigger lift. The more you do, the more stuff you've got to fix. Doing a little of both and meeting in the middle would be alot easier IMO.

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...it was really easy. I am running Ford 57's and they have a big offset from the front and rear to the centerpins, so I just mounted them backwards! They flex like no other, and I have experienced no axlewrap w/ them being backwards. I want to bob mine too, but have to work something out w/ the fuel tank and stuff first.

The tires still stuff up into the rear fenderwells nicely, and mine arent trimmed that much in the back.

[​IMG]

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

go 4-link + coilover and bob the bed all the way to where the tires are. 90 departure angle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

BOB IT. For some reason I'm a big fan of the bobbed k5's. (see webshots) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Sandman

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good cheap way to do it. I think thats what I'll do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would like to go coils in the rear but with the work involved, It'l be a future project.