Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bobbed Blazer????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DBLAZER, Aug 24, 2000.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well I have been thinking about it real hard and I think that I am going to bob the Blazer. I am in the middle of the crossover as we speak and I keep staring at the ass end of my rig thinking, to bob or not to bob??? All I know is that every time I try a steep climbe my ass end rubs and grinds and gets in the way. I bent it pretty bad on a waterfall in disney and am going to have to fix one waqy or the other. Any opinions? Now bfore you ask about the top, I dont really car about putting it back on. The rig has been lined , the doors and tailgate have been removed, hell I even pulled the pins out of the hinges, This is an wxtreme rig for Wheeling. So, has anyone thought about or perfomed this mod? Ok cool, Also check out my post about labor day , man where are all the K5 wheelers???? No Takers???? I hope to get some of yall to go. Ok see ya later.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

D, you could put the gas tank in the bed some where, should be OK with out the top on, and then break out the sawzall (my Blazers best friend lately). You could only cut the frame down 14" before you hit the rear shackle, but you could cut the body a little shorter and let the frame stick out about 3" like stock though. I would love to see this done, I think it would be cool, I have seen a few 4-runners done and it is sweet. This would make a great tech article (hint). I will be in Moab over labor day trying to break stuff, I know it would be a long drive but would love to wheel with ya if you feel like a long drive.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Have fun in Moab. I will be there in April. I will take notes and pics when we do the cutting and will let you know how it goes!!!! Thanx

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

It would be a pretty easy task for a good fabricator. Looking at mine, I determined that the limiting factor is the rear spring hangers. On my truck, I can take about 18" out of the box. If you went to something other than standard leaf springs, you could bob more off. I'm planning on going to coils in the rear with a 3 or 4 link design, which will allow lotsa bobbing!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

My leaf set up works great so I dont plan on changing that any time soon. But I am going to cut the back off of it as soon as I get back from Clayton.

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Really, you could probably even get a soft top fitted for your application. You may want to contact some of the manufacturers for this. The Idea I have been playing around with is, I am going to build a complete round tube rock buggy chassis and use bolt on Blazer rear bedsides, make some removable doors using the lower door skin, and use standard or fiberglass front fenders and hood. This rig will not have any of the windshield pillars, door jambs, radiator support, or inner fenders. It will be completely custom but allow me to replace sheetmetal easily. I want it to look like a Blazer so thats why I am bolting on sheetmetal. I am going to design the Chassis in CAD soon so I will post some images when I get it going.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Mudzer,
    You da man!!!! I saw a trophy truck on a trailer yesterday on the freeway on the way home, and by seeing the tube chassis I was having the same visions!

8. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I'd like to see a bobbed K5, but you would be way in to the contraption category. Why don't you just take the body off. If you add some more tubing to the frame you can use flat panels (aluminum diamond plate or fiberglass) for body panels. With quarter turn fasteners you could get access to any part of your rig. Cut the frame anyway you like. In our club they're called rock buggies. The people are kidding themselves calling them Heeps, Blazers, or what ever. I agree with ColoradoK5 I'd love to go wheelin' with a serious basher like yourself. Good luck on your project.
    CB

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

<font color=blue> COOOOOOOOOOL!!!

10. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I thought about doing this also!I have seen lots of toyota trucks done and have helped bob a scrambler last winter.I removed my reciever and cut the frame up and back and built a bumper from 5" C channel.It wraps around the frame a little.Now my lowest spot is the gas tank skid plate.I have been thinking about pulling the tank and cutting a hole in the floor and mounting the tank have way above the floor and halfway below.Then build a box around it for a cooler shelf with tie downs.I have also been kicking around the Idea of taking a blazer frame and building a tube body off of it.It would be narrowor than the blazer and shorter.Brady Hey steve what trails are you going to do and when?I have been thinking of what I want to do Labor day.If you want to hit the Battlement mesa trail on your way through let me know.I live about 6 miles from the trail head.Brady

11. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I personally dont feel that my K5 is a contraption. It has a K5 body it the original tranny (BEEFED UP) It has the stock motor. It is a K5 heart and soul. When I was in Disney last month my K5 was the truck that went over everything it tried and the K5 that treid anything. All I a m saying is that it is a K5 not a buggy. I will be doing the bobification when I get back from CLAYTON. See yall

12. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've been dreaming of this for a long time. I'm going to try and build my pre-runner bumpers within the next month or so if I can find a tube bender. Here's a pic of my CAD model so far. I still need to figure out the mounts for the frame and my future winch. To get an idea of size, the main tubes are 2.5" diameter, the rest are a little smaller (2" and 1.5").

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

13. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

JCG-
    Man, that is BAD... I have used AutoCAD R14 before, but could never figure out how to do that. Are you an architect? Any tips on how to learn? Like maybe a manual? Anyways, you DA MAN.

Later,

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

14. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm a mechanical engineering student and I use Mechanical Desktop 4.0/Autocad 2000 all the time. I figured out how to do tube frames while helping to design the car for our off-road racing team. I'm pretty much self taught (been using Autocad for 7+ years) but there's a lot of good books out there you can get if you want to learn. I haven't looked at any books recently but I'm sure there's too many to count, it shouldn't be hard to find one at a bookstore. I'm also working on modelling the front of my truck so I can see what it will look like on the ol' K5 before I build it.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Before you start modeling the front end, try and get ahold of MDT 5. Trust me, surfacing ROCKS in MDT 5.0. I sell the stuff for a living, so I get to play with it daily. I've actually been using MDT and Inventor to design the new frame for mine.

As for books, manuals, and all that stuff, Just find the BIGGEST book store you can and go there. Lot's of books that are HIGH quality. We don't sell that many manuals, mostly, we send people to Barnes and Noble Bookstores. They're cheaper, and they're good quality.

Kyle
    89K5

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

OK, I see you guys haven't been checking out my site! I have a link for this dude's site: camcofab.com/warrior.htm[url/] Ch...oose.htm"]http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

17. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I keep thinking you guys are talkig to me, i am going to change the name of the post!!!!!!

[​IMG]

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Here are my credentials:

A 1968 Camaro Drag Car chassis, 4-link with housing.

[​IMG]

And the chassis by itself without the body for a better look. Funny Car cage, Pro-Stock style Back half. 4-link rear with housing, and strut frontend.

[​IMG]

All drawn in AutoCAD Rel14 without a 3D program. It is drawn in 3D however.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>