Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bobbing for Blazers!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Oct 12, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

OK, not another halloween carnival game, but some realtime cutting. I was thinking of bobbing the overhang off my blazer like some of the pickup and toyota people tend to do. i think I can get rid of about 8" in the rear by doing this.

Some snags:

Gas tank: would it work to use pickup saddle tanks, or would I have to relocate to inside the bed? A fuel cell type thing. I don't like the gas tank at the rear to get bashed anyways

Tailgate: I'd want to use a pickup tailgate and section. I'm thinking we've got a '78 work truck we're parting out, use the back of that bed instead of the back of the blazer. For a lighter weight tailgate and save another 2" or so.

Top: Not too worried about a hard top, don't think I'll need one ever again. Wondering how hard it'd be to modify a can back to fit?

Reason for all this....I think it'd be nice to improve my departure angle significantly. I don't have the cash for my other mods, but all the parts are already laying around for this, just a little time, effort, and praying. haha.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm also building a bumper very similar to Steve's very soon!

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

What are you doing!!!!! quit reading my mind.[​IMG]
    I have been turning this over in my head for weeks now. I have all the same questions. Except I got rid of my tail gate, and i am not to worried about the top. I just cant figure out the gas tank. I think that I will eventually just build a smaller tank to fit inbetwwen the rails and up against the body so that if I bob it, the tank wont be in the way.I am talking about a tank that has about 10 gallons less of capaicity. I am holding off on it simply because I just put a whole lot of money into the bed liner and I cant bring myself to ruin it quit yet. I am going to build the tank and clean up the rear end any way. I already cut off the lower section of my rear quarter panels, so my new bumper will tuck up a whole lot higher, I will post pics soon. Have a nice day!!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

As far as the Can-back goes that is easy, when you order it just tell them to make it 8" shorter, they are all hand made anyway. I think you should do it, I have never seen anybody do this to a K5 yet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I was thinking of cutting my frame even with the back of the rear shackle hangars. Then bobbing the body off about one inch forward of that. I don't think I could get rid of my tailgate...love having something to sit on and bs. But maybe fill the area I bob off with sheet metal and some cool custom taillights. Then make a custom tailgate out of 14 ga galvaneal or something. NO MORE RUST!

The fuel tank is my big problem though. I think saddle tanks out of a SWB pickup would work, but I'm not sure if I really want to lose that area of my truck. They'd probably get bashed too. This would really screw up your liner, but might work for me. What about making a custom tank or...the blazer's 30 miles away, I can't look....relocating the stock tank up in the body. Move it up about 8-10" and forward as far as possible. Cut the area out in the floor and make a cover for it. Like a hump in your bed. But would that get in the way of my 5012 shock position??? Dang it, just brainstorming here, I love coming up with a different plan than what everyone else has...

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

on another note, DBLAZER, we've pretty much nixed the idea of a club in this area for libality, and PITA reasons. What we're leaning toward now is an informal list of people and phone numbers that like to run the tough trails. That way whenever you want to organize a run, start calling folks, email, whatever. But to get people together in this area. Even for technical help, extra hands, probably have the club meeting at the monthly run. Or when I get mine actually running, probably weekly run. Anyways, if you're still interested in this sort of thing, let me know.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Put a cell inbetween the wheel wells and build a box that will cover it. then when you build a cage, just add a little to protect it. with the box over it, you can still stack stuff on it. do a little more custom bodywork and move the fuel filler over the top of one of the wheels with the neck going down to the cell. While yer getting nuts, do a four link or a coilover and get rid of the leafs. That will give you more room to chop, and less stuff to worry about. LMC sells the inserts to get rid of the taillights, then you can use round LED's to make your own recessed lights. Hell, fill in the front side marker lights and put LED's up there too. Can you tell, I've already got this mapped out for mine [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I might beat you guys to the punch. I am about to get a frame with dana 44 and 12 bolt with 4 speed and 205 with 5 wagon wheels for $500. I talked to a rear end guy and he said he would trade me a 14 bolt for the 12 and I will nearly be set. Just not sure which direction to go yet. Could easily cut the frame and make a sweet ride. Oh the 44 has the flat top knuckle too.

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about this also!!I need the back seat though for the kids.I haven't takin' any measurements yet to see what tank would fit but I want to get the biggest possible since I have the 30 gallon tank now and like the amount in it.But I ussually only put $20-$25 in it anyway was looking at summits 22 gallon tanks lastnight.Now would be a good time for me to do this since my tank started leaking a little after sat when I dropped in a hole and slammed the tanks skidplate and dented it.Definetly want to get rid of the stocktank bobbing it or not!!It just hangs to low!!!Oh well something to think about.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah you don't need to use the back of a pickup to put a truck gate on.They will bolt on.Just use the truck hardware.I have an 84 truckgate on my '73 blazer.All the holes are in the blazer for this.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status