Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body bolt problem agaaain! UPDATE AT BOTTOm!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 9, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I have the 2 from the core support, 2 from the firewall area, 2 from above the gastank (the floor is rusted out, so I dont need to remove those bolts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) then I got the drivers side bolt from the outside of the frame, then I got the drivers side bolt from inside the frame (That one was a beast, I spent 30 minutes getting it out! the floor was rusted out around there, so when i put the impact on 'er the floor ripped off around the bolt. Then I ended up trying to cut it off, but ran out of cutting disks for the grinder, so I had to grind it with a grinder stone on the grinder /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)
    Now I have 2 more, the one by the rear wheel well is blocked by a brake line holder which I will grind off (dam rivets) and the other on in front of it by the door is broken or something. I can "untighten" it, but it goes lose, lose, stiff, lose, lose, stiff. And it wont come out. I cant get at the top of it unless I cut a hole in the floor. Any suggestions? I also took the right side exhaust out and I found a long hole in it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif no wonder it was so loud /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: body bolt problem agaaain!

[ QUOTE ]
    I can "untighten" it, but it goes lose, lose, stiff, lose, lose, stiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to cut an access hole in the floor or the side of the boxed body mount. There is a nut inside that used to be tacked so it wouldn't rotate...yours has broken free which is why it just spins.

The bolts through the bed are tack welded to the floor if you didn't already find that out. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Rene

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to cut an access hole in the floor or the side of the boxed body mount. There is a nut inside that used to be tacked so it wouldn't rotate...yours has broken free which is why it just spins.

The bolts through the bed are tack welded to the floor if you didn't already find that out. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! so I have to cut a hole? Darnit it seems it was easy, now it got harder. So when I go to put everything back together next year, I will have to re-weld the nut, or buy a new nut and weld it back in there?

Yeah I new the bolt was welded to the floor, the head was still welded to the floor when the bolt wripped apart from the floor. So parts of the floor where it was welded was still on the bolt head.

Thanks

4. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah! so I have to cut a hole? Darnit it seems it was easy, now it got harder. So when I go to put everything back together next year, I will have to re-weld the nut, or buy a new nut and weld it back in there?

Yeah I new the bolt was welded to the floor, the head was still welded to the floor when the bolt wripped apart from the floor. So parts of the floor where it was welded was still on the bolt head.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget what tim told you. If you cut an X instead of a round hole, you can pound it back down and weld it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget what tim told you. If you cut an X instead of a round hole, you can pound it back down and weld it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ah! I forgot about that. That is excellent, I shall do that!! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, I cut an X in the floor and I see the bolt. What do I have to do so I can get the bolt out? I cant really re-weld the nut because its under a box thing and the bolt goes through that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif to protect it I guess? I really need help, Im starting to get reaally discouraged /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

cant you use a socket and long extension to go though the hole to the nut and then turn the bolt or nut...
    Unless it is a special nut or somthing.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

my only advise would be to cut the whole bitch off

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll take a pic of it tonight, its like a metal thing over the nut, with a small hole that the bolt goes through, theres not much room.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

PICS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

take your welder and weld the sides of the metal block to the body mount... (dont weld the bolt)
    AFTER it cools, soak it with pb blaster and then try to pull the bolt out from the bottom again. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

will it even weld though, its pretty rusty?

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

that thing over it is a hold down for the nut, you can try to get that off then hold the nut, or you might be able to put some visegrips on it and squeeze it down to hold it again. id leave the visegrips on it to keep it from spreading again.

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    PICS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC those are Square nuts inside that "cage" kind of like what is in between the body and top where the hard tops mount...
    You can try spot welding the part above the bolt in the last pic But I bet it wont work..
    So take a die grinder and cut that part of the bolt off and use a center punch and mark a spot in the middle of the bolt then drill it out(so what if you drill the threads in the nut) ..What ever you do is going to require you putting a nut back in that spot ..

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

tomorrow I will try to wrip the square nut cage out to access the nut. If that doesn't work I will cut the focker out /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

16. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. No matter what, I couldn't get it to turn. I cut the head off the bolt, and then pulled the nut and rest of the bolt out the top. I made a new nut out of some 1.5"x1/4" flat stock. Just drilled and tapped the hole.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hopefully I can get it out of the little cage thing today.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sometimes you can wedge a peice of metal or a chisel between the square nut and the sides of the cab support and soak the nut and bolt with penatrating oil and use a long pipe and breaker bar to get the bolt out,assuming it still has the head on it--you have to be careful not to rip the cab support all to hell if its real rusty and weak--if the bolt breaks its ok,then you can take the nut out of the cage and put a new bolt and nut in later--I usually make a new nut out of thick metal plate,sometimes you can still find large square nuts in a hardware store,I lucked out at a U-haul store--when I noticed the bins in the service bay where they install receiver type hitches were full of very similar square nuts that were even the correct 1/2x13 thread--the guy gave me a handful of them,and a thing called a "bolt buddy"--looks like a spring with a long straight tail on it--you thread the bolt into the spring coils and use it to fish the bolts through the hidden frame areas that the trailer hitch bolts go in--it works slick!.
    Looks like you are going to know firsthand how much rust sucks--I hate fixing rotted trucks,but thats all you can buy around here on my budget--but I wouldnt do half the stuff I do with my trucks if they were rust free show qualitly rigs either.But someday I want an Arizona truck--even if I have to live there to get one!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I will probably end up just making a new nnut out of thick stock, then weld it back in /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I will try what you suggested to, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif