Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body bushings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear alot of people talking about replacing the body bushings while installing body lifts. I'm not sure if I'll do a body lift or not, but I do know that my body bushings need replaced. So my QUESTION is where do you get the new ones, how much do they cost, and what is avalible that is better then stock ???? Any place on line to look at them ??? Anyone got pics of a install??? With or with body lift is cool. Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats something i would like to see to is some pics of an install..

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I've been working with Ultimate 4 Wheel Drive Performance on a site and have been adding info for poly bushings this past week. I'm slightly embarrassed the site isn't what I have in mind quite yet but most of the info is there. Dan Bergin is great to work with on truck parts. He is also knowledgeable on installation and has a shop that he runs. If you really want, I can order mine and we can do them together /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif One of mine is definitely shot. I can take pics and send them as I do them. I was planning to hold off til spring but may as well just get 'er done.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're going to do them anyways, I'd like to see pics with detailed instructions. Still debating on if I'll do a body lift or not while it's apart. Probley will, this getting higher is addictive, LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

me 3, i want to do it while im replacing my floor which im kind of in the middle of right now...

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I e-mailed him. I know he's out of town this weekend but offered to do a tech write-up for him on an install. I'll let y'all know if he goes for it. No more lift for me. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Vertically challenged,

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I used Energy Suspensions body bushings /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and they worked out great! Got the the tub to sit on the frame straight finally! Instaed of lookin like it was gonna slide off the frame sideways! LOL!
    Bill

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Where do you get the Energy Suspensions body bushings ??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif How hard are they to put in ?????? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think you can get tham at summit racing but i was looking for them at there sight and failed to find them.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
  11. Tweetysuarus

Any parts shop or 4wd shop and it shouldn't take but a couple of hours. Hint: Presoak all of the body bolts with penatrating oil of some kind once a day for a couple days if you live in an area where your rig is prone to rust. They are real tight! REALLY! Loosen all the body bolts but don't take them out yet! Then use a jack to raise the body on one side slightly(1/2"-1")Then remove & replace 1 by 1, repeat on the other side then torque them down after you have replaced all of them! The hardest ones are the two front ones, They are the only ones that have nuts on them! Try not to damage the front three steel inserts as these will be reused in most Energy Suspension Kits! Key Lots of penetrating oil! Hope this helps!
    Bill

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea but what if you have really rusted body bolts..and you live in rochester like me..and they have not been messed with since day one...ill probobly have to use a torch and heat them up real good or cut them out or something...

13. Tweetysuarus

Can't help that they use salt on the roads there! LOL! Sorry that you can hear any car rust on a quiet night in New York! LOL! J/K!
    Bill

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea well let me tell you it takes skill to keep a vehicle looking good out hear!! all you people in cali and those other places were you dont see rust dont have to work half as hard on your trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. Tweetysuarus

Well if its any consulation, My rig came from the Evergreen state Washington where rains more than it shines! Just got done with the body work this summer! Thats why it still looks so fresh! LOL! Soon to come mud n rock carnage!
    Bill

16. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id never reall considerd a body lift before, what is the max. lift you can do without screwing with anything, i was told that you can put hocky pucks with longer bolts to do a lift, sounded kinda cool, and cheap, so id have more cha-ching in my pocket to spend on other stuff like mirrors that i still need to get.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. Tweetysuarus

3" body is all I would do! But i've seen and heard of more than that like 4-6" Body lifts, a little too hi-center of gravity for my tastes!
    Bill

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..plus you got those tacky ass big blocks that you can see..you get over 3 inches and it just dont seem to look good..

19. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I hate those big body lift pucks. For my cab bushings I used Prothane poly bushings from JC Whitney. They were about $60 for my application. They have them for a lot of applications from '63-'91 pickups of all kinds and '67-'91 K5's.

Will