Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body bushings

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gravdigr, May 2, 2003.

1. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have read a few posts and do not want to go over info that is already there. Here is my question and a simple answer will do. The PO of my 79 K5 was restoring it before he died. I use restore in the loosest sense, as I inherited his mess when i bought it. All the soft rubber body mounts are gone, replaced by the rubber squares used to mount the bed onto a pickup truck. I figured since I have to fix that I'd install a body lift. I was under the impression a body lift replaced those bushings, but what I am reading siggests otherwise.

Do I need a body bushing kit to go along with body lift if my ride has no bushings?

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

The body lift comes with the pucks only. If your bushings are gone, yes you will need to purchase a seperate body bushing kit.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

ok next question. A friend of mine told me instead of buying a lift kit I can use hockey pucks as spacers. Anyone heard of this or tried it? Any reason NOT to do it?

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've heard many stories of hocky pucks spliting and falling out...

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok next question. A friend of mine told me instead of buying a lift kit I can use hockey pucks as spacers. Anyone heard of this or tried it? Any reason NOT to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 4x4 by 1.25" thick steel blocks from the scrap yard, took the grinder to them and had the machine shop drill them. works pretty well, not good if your trying to keep the weight # down. 8 lbs each times 10 was 80# times $.20 lb for the scrap metal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    bodylift1
    Bodylift2
    Fan shroud spacer

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

BTW, pickup beds don't have rubber mounts (at least that I've seen). The set directly on the frame. 70's K5s did use 1" rubber bricks on the rear 4 mounts though...