Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body cancer!!:(

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jmeti000, Jan 5, 2006.

1. jmeti000

jmeti000 Registered Member

hey all,
    i have an 88 k5 that i brought back from the east coast a while back and its got some pretty major cancer goin on. the major wholes are the rocker panels, bed, wheel wells, behind the drivers seat where it ate through just about everything, and along the driver side seat supports...i think thats it for the major stuff. anyways, with that said, im not talented enough to do the work myself so i realize im looking at a pretty penny here...but im wondering if it would be cheaper to find some pos with no engine or tranny but has a decent body and swap it out, or actually have all the repairs done to the already exhisting body?
    any help would be great..
    thanks
    jac

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

well u live in texas... thats a stones throw away to AZ compared to say.. me in CT.. where i had to fix all my rust myself. U could prob find a complete shell from ur area real cheap pretty rust free.. i'd do that

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Where are you in Texas? Theres a great junkyard in Briggs that always has K5s sitting around. Usually everything but the body is pulled on them, it would be much easier to do the swap.

Al

4. jmeti000

jmeti000 Registered Member

im in san antonio...will halfta look at the map and see where briggs is..till tomarrow
    jac

5. Tio Chango

Tio Chango Registered Member

Briggs is on Hwy 183 about 30mins (I think) north of Austin. What's the name of this junkyard, Al?

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Do the swap, much easier. If U live in texas, rust-free K5 bodies should be plentiful, unlike here in Michigan.

7. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Sorry it took me so long to reply, hope the info is still usefull...

The Junkyard is called Harold's. He has a few of them around CenTex, but the Briggs one is best. I usually call ahead to see if they have some trucks in that I'm looking for. They have a pretty high turnover rate (about 6 months) before they crush em and send them to recycle. I saw a PERFECT (no motor/tranny) 1991 2500 Burb get recycled there. Broke my heart.

Heres some phone #'s
    512-489-2255
    800-770-6199

8. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

I'd agree... I live in upper indiana and all they through down is salt on the roads... my 79 was real bad but drove down to oklahoma to pick a body up.... Thanks Daniel.... im working on it... But it would be easier just to swap bodies on it, if it is that bad.... Its pretty simple too..