Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body cracking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well my 88 blazer is starting to come apart at the seams...around the door the welds are starting to break..i am assuming its from flexin it out all the time..but what can i do to stop it...i dont want to weld it back cause it would screw up the paint...but i cant exactly just let it be because it will keep gettin worse

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have similar problems (except for worrying about screwing up paint/forums/images/icons/grin.gif)

The only solution I've seen that makes sense is to mount the rad support with valve springs which should take some stress of the front clip...A full cage should stiffen up the rest of the body.

Rene

3. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I don't know that much about repairing body work, but I think you need to check your cab bushings. If they're soft it could be causing undue flex on the body. You should replace them with polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension or Hyperflex. About $75 I think. They do make a difference.

Will

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

2 seconds after i posted this my bother stoped by and he happend to have some self tapping screws...so i ziped a few of thos in to do a temp fix of the cracks...but i like the cage idea...i was wantin one anyway...maybe this will just speed up the need for it befor my body falls apart goin down the freeway /forums/images/icons/grin.gif altho after next weekend on the rubicon there prob wont be much left of my paint anyway so may be whipin out the welder anyway....paint is over rated anyway /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif