Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body expanding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tarheel, Jul 30, 2003.

1. tarheel

tarheel Registered Member

my "73 k5 has a very noticeable gap between the tailgate and the body on the drivers side. kinda hard to explain, but seems like the weight of the hard top has caused the bed panels to spread over the years. the problem is so bad that the tailgate latch on that side barely engages the bracket even with the shims that the p/o installed as a half-ass fix. anybody familiar with this or know how to fix it? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Uhhh the problem isn't the top. It has proably helped keep it from folding worse. The problem is your rusted out tail pan (the part the tail gate bolts too). Stand behind the truck and look at the tail pan. If it's frowning it's probably rusted out.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How is the gap on the other side? SOUNDS like a "simple" alignment is in order (of the panel) but if the gap is "normal" on one side, (both in width and even from top to bottom) but excessive on the other, I have no further ideas.

4. DetroitK5

DetroitK5 Registered Member

Wow - I've got the same problem never knew what was causing that. I'm gonna check that out.

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

yep I had this problem along time ago. I thought the same thing and then started looking at what supports everything and found a cakced tailpan.

6. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

mine's like that too. Just used a come-a-long and winched it back. Now I'm going to go get a better look at what the real problem is

7. DetroitK5

DetroitK5 Registered Member

How exactly did you winch it back in place... Attach one side to a tree and the other to the side that's out of alignment?

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I winched mine together too.

I used a hand winch, hooked it into the the two latches, and pulled them back together.

My tailgate had popped-up from wheeling. Even when the top was on. Now that it is off (most of the time), it's worse. I made an angle-iron going across the two sides and bolted it in to hold the two sides together. This worked for the trails, but made carrying cargo a pain.

Luckily for me, I found a rear rollbar. A front should work too with some mods. The rear bolts into the body pan, and I will make some tabs on the sides on the bed rail overhang, and bolt it on there.

Good luck.

BTW: My rear tail-pan is rusted right near the tailgate hinge bolts. The bottom, and the body mounts all look (surprisingly) good.

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

those little 10$ ratchet tie downs work wonders