Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Experts!!!! Rust repair advice needed!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Mar 30, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Would you body experts do me a favor and take a look at the rust on my burb body in my webshots please. The shots of it are in my "Suburban Stuff" album. What do y'all think I should do about it? Should I take it to a body shop and have them repair it? How much do y'all think they would charge? Should I do it myself somehow? How would I do it? Or should I just get a new body (or burb)? I'm completely lost here cause my only previous body repair knowledge was "grind off the rust then spray paint the bare metal" but that wont work here. In most if not all of the spots, the rust is through the body. The interior gets wet when it rains and I am tired of it. The worst part is, most of the rust is in odd locations like the door seals and mirror mounting points. If y'all would take a look and recomend what I should do I would appreciate it. Thx

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would look for another body. Usually by the time there is that much rust on the outside it's pretty well a lost cause.

Doors could be replaced, same with front fenders, but the outer skin in so many areas needs to be cut and patched which would be difficult and/or expensive to do.

I would probably strip every decent part off of the truck and scrap the rest...then look for a truck that didn't spend it's life next to the Atlantic ocean.

Rene

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I would look for another body. Usually by the time there is that much rust on the outside it's pretty well a lost cause

[/ QUOTE ]
    I 2nd the new body idea and in Texas it should be easy to find to

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Third. Look for a new body/truck and strip that one; or use it as a beater/wheeler...

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

normally id say fix it but you have rust in wierd spots that are tuff to fix with out a lot fo money and skill..so i would say find another truck..cuase a body swap probobly isnt even worth it either...and take the patrts form yours or sell it..

6. mirage

mirage Registered Member

Well, it really depends. You're not going to get much selling a rusty truck, so if price is a problem, then truck swap could pose a problem. Swapping the body is a *ton* of work, *tons* and *tons*. I've heard good things about POR 15, but have never used it personally. Would probably be the cheapest work and price wise, and could produce good results, but easiest of course would just be different truck. Though, getting through the rust with a nice angle grinder and a wire wheel goes really quick, so just grinding and painting shouldn't be too bad with the right tools. I've tried other things to get off rust, don't bother, it's all about the angle grinder.

Mirage

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it was just surface rust it wouldn't be a big deal...but the amount of scaling and bubbling tells me there is major perforation underneath. That kind of rust doesn't need a grinder...a small putty knife will go right through it.

Many times the surface paint is holding the shape over the rusted out area...

I'd rob anything of good mechanical (or interior) value and snag another truck...or rust free tub if you feel energetic.

Rene

8. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

POR 15 is great stuff. I used it on my '79, which I had to get rid of when I came over here /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif . Personally I would try to fix it. The fenders you could trim, the superficial rust is no big deal, just gotta stop it before it eats through. Any holes can either pathched with metal, body filler, or you can use fiberglass. POR 15 has a type of fiberglass made just for this. Fixing your truck would be time consumming but not terribly difficult. Doing any kind of repair like this demands that you do very good surface prep. Skipping corners will come back to haunt you. I suggest you try POR 15. Its not cheap, but its a great product. Just follow the directions exactly. Check out the website http://www.por15.com/ . Dont let a little rust beat you.

Jon

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Thx guys. I dont really want to sell the Burb, my dad bought it for me last July for $3000. Its an 89 (TBI...Yay!) and the interior is in prety good condition. My friend has a 90 Dodge Cummins diesel that has a rain gutter above the windshield. The gutter is a horrible design and trapped water like a damn dam. This resulted in a huge rust hole, quite a bit worse than most of the ones on my burb, and in just as awkward a position. They took it to a local body place and I'm waitin to see how it turns out. If they do a good job I'll prolly take my Burban to them. If they dont, well, I guess I'll keep looking /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

10. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

Well, you're definitely into patch panel and even replacement fender territory here.

Key areas to pay attention to:

1. Rear wheelwells-- unlike the 1-piece wheelwells used in pickups, Suburbans have a 2-piece assembly with the weld joints in line with the interior side panel. Rust can set into these weld joints. The good news, though, is that this is an internal thing and not necessarily a quarter panel problem. I've even had to fix this on my truck.

2. Lower quarter panels.

3. Doors and tailgate-- like any other vehicle.

4. Frame.

5. Rocker panels. Here's the good news-- Chevy started using better galvanized metal in 1984, so you've got a head start if you nip it in the bud.

Your truck is not a lost cause, but needs a lot of work to bring it back up to par. The paint job alone will be expensive. The sad part is that most of this damage looks like it started small and was never nipped in the bud... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck! You've got a decent foundation there. Now, all you need is money. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kevin
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif