Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Fat Percentages, BMI...etc. ??'s

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Greg72, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So I've been on a pretty good streak over the past few months, I'm getting to the gym 4 to 5 times a week.

My workout consists of either freeweights (Chest/Back, Shoulders, or Arms) then I go running on the alternating days. The workout is at least an hour whether I'm running or lifting. When I run, it's typically about 6.2 to 6.5 miles each time.

A couple of questions:

Heart Rate - According to most charts, my "target" rate is anywhere from 140 - 150 BPM. When I run on the treadmills it's almost always 170 - 190 BPM which seems awfully high. However, if I slow down to where my heart rate is in the "correct range" I'm running at a 13 minute mile pace, which is ludicrously slow and useless.

Blood Pressure - I've had it measured a number of times recently and yesterday it was 146/95. I have been ignoring the high readings for a while, since I never add salt to food, I don't eat junk food, and I excercise regularly. However, there is a history of high blood pressure in my family and as I get older, it might just be one of those things that gets worse with time?? Could the high blood pressure be causing my heart rate to be abnormally high? Will reducing my blood pressure reduce my heart rate??

BMI / Body Fat % - I got these done yesterday too...BMI = 28.4, Fat % = 23.5%. Since I'm 5'9" & 196Lbs, does this REALLY mean that there is 46 Lbs of fat on my body???? :yikes: I find that incredibly hard to believe. I'm currently wearing 34" waist pants instead of 32" (my ideal size) so it's not like I'm carrying a big spare tire around. What gives???

Ideas? It sucks getting older.....I used to be able to eat anything and not gain weight. These days, I'm working out HARD and watching what I eat pretty carefully and I can barely maintain my weight, let alone drop the 10 Lbs I don't want...... :dunno:

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I had to get rope and choked for our last PT exam because the Navy says I am allowed to weigh 211 for my height of 6'2". I currently weigh 223 and with the neck measurement and waist measurement method they calculated my body fat% at 24. I wear 36-38 waist pants depending on the brand. How did you do your calculations? I believe electolosis or water displacment are the most accurate and measuring and that little pinch thing are the least accurate. Just my .02 and something to think about.

Ira

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Greg, just face it. You're just becoming a fat bastard with old age. :D

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What kind of BMI did you do? if it was the militaries its flawed. The only true test is the floating one. Calipers work well if you can find someone who knows how to use them. Heart rate and blood pressure are two seperate issues what are you using to measure your rate? I think your target should be a little higher than that, isn't it your age from two hundred or something:confused:
    that might be your max rate. If high blood pressure runs in your family then you just might have high blood pressure. My second number has always been high course I have always been out of shape except for boot camp. I kind of look at it like the system that the numbers are based on is flawed to many people die from heart related problems that are out if shape and overweight that they tilt the numbers in the wrong direction. If you can run 6 miles three times a week or so and run with your heart rate where it is and you eat properly you are pretty much doing all you can do. However you should do a leg work out in there once and awhile and running doesn't count.:D

5. Greg72

Well the BMI is just a ratio of height and weight, but for the Fat % they used this little Omron electronic gizmo that you hold in both hands (it looks a little like a flight yoke) and it supposedly measures electrical impulses through your body....????

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did one of those in highschool but they attached electrodes to each foot and run a low current through your body. Basically the are measuring the resisitance of your body. Fat and muscle have different resistance readings and they can determine body fat precentage as well as water composition. 10 Years ago I was at 12% Body Fat:doah: . As far as the military method being scewed That is a whole other argument. 211 for someone who is 6'2" is rediculous. And the extremely acurate method of measurment to determine body fat:rolleyes: .

Ira

7. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

I wrestle for my high school, and I had my body fat percentage done the floating method and according to that I have about 9% body fat. That's about normal for most guys wrestling my weight class (119 or 112 depending on the week). You pretty much don't want to get below 7%, since 7% is beasically just essential fats protecting organs and such. My dad had his done the electro-whatever way and he has 30% body fat. :doah:He's 5'9", and somewhere in the 200 pound range, don't remember where.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The electronic BMI machines are usually off by up to 3%. Either way, your % is a little high. Diet is about 70% of the equation with that and bolood pressure.

9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

No worries, yer still a stud ;)

Your BP does sound a little bit high. Even though you are eating right and exercising, it's something you might want to look into :)

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Cool that you are finding out the details of your health. I havent even gotten that far yet as I'm just concentrating on lifting and running.

On this coming Monday, it will be 5 weeks since my diet "started" but the exercising started Jan. 1st. As of this morning when I was getting dressed, I was down to 209 lbs. I started in the range of 230 average with a 6'1" height. My goal is to slim down to 190-195 range and then start lifting harder and heavier to build mass in my muscles. Right now I'm just doing moderate lifting to gain and keep some strength.

Where can I go to get my fat percentage info? We do have a wellness center here in town, but membership is like $30 a month and I'm not ready to join that yet as the weights are free at the high school.

11. Greg72

Wes,

They sell bathroom scales that will do a fat percentage now...

I'm not sure I would trust it as 100% accurate, BUT in a relative way it would be nice to see where you start (percentagewise) and how much the number drops over time.

Then, someday when you are feeling buff....you can go do one of those water-emersion (displacement?) tests which are supposedly the most accurate. From there, you can compare those findings with what the scale tells you at home and devise a "correction factor".... a calibration of sorts.

Cheryle,

I will accept your compliment regardless of whether it was intended sarcastically or not! :)

This whole thing with the numbers is making me kind of mad/worried. Up until yesterday, I felt great and like I was doing all the right things with the workouts and eating (mostly). But the blood pressure thing (and my really high heartrate) have me a little spooked...

I know that I probably drink too much caffeine (like most of a pot of coffee at home each morning) and then a Diet Coke with lunch....could the caffeine be a culprit too???

I hope not....I love my coffee, and my Thursday night martini... :thumb:

12. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Me? Sarcastic? :shame: No way! Take it as it was intended... a compliment :waytogo:

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Alrighty...

BMI, IMHO, is worthless.

Body fat percentage is the important one. I've never dealt with anything but the scale you stand on barefoot. The one I used the school dumped aboot $5-600 for, so I assume they weren't screwing around. My best was aboot 8%, my worst was 13%. One guy I did cross country with (think little grey alien, and you won't be far off) regularly measured just under 1%, depending on what he ate that week. Other runners were around 5-7%, or 10-12%. I don't know what the wimmens were at, I think one was aboot 12%. 8-10% is the optimal range. You should aim for that, working out or not.

Blood pressure is typically high for those who lift weights on a regular basis, who are improving strength and muscle mass. If you're just looking to hold steady with what you have, pressure should eventually level back down, a bit.

Target pulse: I just had a test on this today. :D
    220-19 (age in years) = 201 (maximum heart rate)
    201-60 (resting heart rate) = 141
    141 x .7 = reserve heart rate 99
    99 + 60 = target heart rate 159

Good to hear you're on freeweights, keep that up.

Are you on a treadmill? I have a personal hate for those things... I ride my bicycle. Chicks dig it.

14. Greg72

I agree on BMI.....mostly because I'm built like a "V" and BMI only considers height vs. weight. Most government charts say I'm "Obese"....that's a laugh.

Since I'm a little older than you :wink1: My numbers are these:

Maximum Heart Rate = 181 (Which I've exceeded on the treadmill!)
    Resting Heart Rate = 121
    Reserve Heart Rate = 85
    Target Heart Rate = 144

(Your homework assignment is to figure out from those numbers how old I am :laugh:)

I run on a treadmill because it's too freaking cold outside...in the Spring I will get back to running outdoors, which I enjoy a lot more. I was told to run with the incline set at 1 percent to more acccurately represent "road" running. I started out struggling to run 10 minute miles, now after a couple of months I am pretty comfortable at 9 minute miles. I run about 6.5 miles each time and it takes about an hour (including the warmup and cooldown)

I hit the weights pretty hard. My intensity is good, and I have measured my heart rate in the mid 130's when I'm supersetting....I try not to rest much between sets either.

I'm going to go see a Dr. about the blood pressure thing... I know that genetically it's something I'll probably be stuck with, but I'd like to get recommendations that are non-medicine related if possible.

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Sounds like you're doing good! Always keep in mind to improve, even if it's just a little bit at a time.

And I forgot to post a disclaimer- I'm 19 and know everything. :rolleyes:

You old bastige! :haha: