Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Install (PICS)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robin, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I dropped the body on, and it seems that most guys depend on the lure of beer to get their buds to help them strong-arm the body in place. I was able to do this with my son as a spotter (doing it by myself would have taken longer) in a couple hours.

Here's the process I used (requires 1 floor jack and any kind of other hydraulic jack):
    1) The body needs to have about 6in. of vertical clearance above the chassis in order for everything to slide in place easily.
    [​IMG]

2) The rear axle has to come off and I decided to position in place under the body in the appropriate place.
    [​IMG]

3) I built a rear axle replacement out of a landscape timber that can be fastened with the U-bolts. This allows me to use a floor jack to maneuver the chassis under the body.
    [​IMG]

4) Once you maneuver the jack and chassis back to where the rear axle is sitting, the jack should slide under the axle and the gas tank should slide over the axle. This requires a little jacking and where the 6in. of clearance comes in handy. Also had to deflate the tires to make this work.
    [​IMG]

5) When the chassis is lined up over the new body mount bolts, I found that the clearance between my new HEI cap and the firewall was very small. This forced me to deal with the rear end first.

6) Now is the time to swap out the landscape timber axle for the real axle.

7) Jack up the rear end (I used the diff as a jack point) so I can fasten the nuts to the rear-most body bolts.

8) Jack a little higher and pull out the rear jack stands, then let the rear end down. With the rear end on the ground and the front end at least 6in. off the chassis, there is plenty of engine clearance. This allows you to carefully ensure that when you let the front down, that everything will fit OK.

9) Jack up both sides from the front rocker boxes and pull the front jack stands out.

10) Carefully lower the front of the body into place checking the interferance of the distributor. Since I gutted the interior, there where no other cables, wires or steering column to get in the way.
    [​IMG]

11) Adjust the spacers between the body and the new mounts. The LMC kit I used and their catalog showing where the spacers went, did not work for me.

The whole process took about 2 hours in the rain with my bud.
    - He's happy cause now he can use the basketball goal that the Blazer was parked in front of.
    - I'm happy cause now I can finish it up in the comfort of my garage.
    [​IMG]

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Very cool info and VERY cool Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Very cool info and VERY cool Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second that notion, and give you 2 thumbs up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. johnny9001

johnny9001 Newbie

Hi!...I'm new to CK5..have been working on a build-up of my 71 K5 for wayyyyy too long and was stuck for a way to get the body off the frame so I could clean/paint the frame and install the new brake lines I've had in a spare room for the last year. This looks like the way to go for me!! Thanks for the info and the pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nice work man!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

lol thats better than how I did it, I used a engin puller and with out the axels on I put a small chain on my roll bar and lifted the tub, I swung it 180 and onto the new frame on the other side of the garage, I don't recomend trying this as it ruined the roll bar, also I had the top off and a bar tub so it wasn't that bad /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif The body lined up on the first try but I had problems with the big block and the fire wall too. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

we also nailed the cealing, but some new drywall fixed that /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

you do nice work!!! post pics when done your truck looks bitchen! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif