Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift = body/frame flex?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Apr 3, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

here are some pics from last weekend. the truck on the left is mine (k30 6" susp 3" body) and the right is andrew's aka protechk5 (k30 stock) if you look at both bodies, mine flexes a ton more, why? is it because of the body lift or what? the frame has no visible damage to it or anything. im already going to take the body lift off this weekend, is there anything else i can do to get rid of that frame/body flex? im thinkin bout maybe boxing the frame or something, but its already the k30 frame, i wouldnt think it would really be necessary. thanks for your help

DSC01676.JPG

DSC01677.JPG

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

are the trucks lifted in the same way? if you have stiffer springs, you'd experience more of an issue than your buddy, i'd think.

3. muddybuddy

his k30 is completely stock, mine has 6" susp (stock rear springs with 6" block YIKES) and 3" body lift on it currently.

4. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

My question is why don't you want frame flex?

5. muddybuddy

doesnt it weaken the frame? dont people box the frame to strengthen it and to limit frame flex? i dont see how frame flex is a positive:confused:

6. colbystephens

agreed - i don't think it's positive either. that being said, a 6" front lift spring is going to be quite stiff - unless you paid BIG bux for an outstanding front lift spring. i bet that's your problem. what brand springs are they? i've got 4" procomps up front, and they aren't impressive in flex, but not terrible.

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would think that yours will flex more becasue of the taller suspension, if both of you are going up a simlar object it is x distance to his frame and its x+ your suspension difference to yours, so you are bot applying a simlar load at different distances. Its like putting a cheater bar on a ratchet you get more results with less force. This is just my guess it could be other things also

8. muddybuddy

i bought the truck with all that lift crap on it. i think the springs are skyjackers. ive got some TC 52's im going to be swappin up front and shackle flip and TC springs for the rear, and removing the body lift.

so you think stiff front susp is the culprit?

9. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Well I am not going to stick my neck out on this one. But I will say that I don't think the flex you are talking about is really a problem. Just pay attention to your frame and if you see a crack forming... fix it.

I personally like the flex in my frame, it's where I get a great deal of my suspension travel.

10. colbystephens

i really don't think frames are designed to flex - certainly not much. at some point i'd think it's going to fatigue. if you need to flex, a stellar suspension flex is definitely going to be better. i think suspension flex would also provide better traction.

i don't think there's a lever mechanism going on due to the suspension height, as the force of the weight is directed downward, not sideways.

11. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Well, I definitely don't agree that his frame flex is healthy or good. I'm concerned about it on my rig. I don't want that crap. I have a 1/2 ton frame and want NO FRAME FLEX! What is the proper way to box this thing up so that it is stoudt all the way around and not in places where new weak points would be created?

Manny

12. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i dunno what to think about frame flex....i know it seems bad especially for a 1/2 ton..i know this has nothing to do with our trucks but if you walk up to a tractor trailer its all c channel and they have to use that because they need the frame to twist to get going....i just wonder if the same rule is applied in this instance...oh btw thats the only thing i ever learned on trucks the tv show...

13. muddybuddy

yea i dont want frame flex at all, id rather pull a tire off the ground instead of flexing the frame

14. colbystephens

twoslow - your example may or may not be applicable. it depends on the properties of the metal used for the frame. i'd suspect that in such a case as you describe, a steel with a high modulus of elasticity (a great ability to deform and come back to the original shape) would be used in such an application. this would probably make it a very expensive metal. in our trucks, i'd suspect that they don't make them on account of having a frame flex much. they were probably built to withstand only the frame flex given by hauling a load or supporting a load, however the idea would be to get it all into the suspension (they wouldn't design a frame to deform under the carrying capacity of the truck's bed - that's just dumb, thus the springs). so, i'd suspect that the engineers did not require a metal with a high capacity for deformation that comes back to it's original shape. i still vote that frame flex is bad.

manny - a kick-ass cage welded to the frame would help! :D

muddy buddy - i doubt your body lift is affecting your frame flex. i still vote the front lift springs as the culprit.

15. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

CS,

It's included in Phase II of my build-up scheduled to begin in July/August. Stay tuned for further details! :D

Manny

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

That is frame flex bud, every longbed truck Ive seen had some degree of flex like that but yours is pretty extensive.. Check over that frame and make sure its all good...

17. muddybuddy

i know, what really has me worried is that protechk5's k30 right next to mine has barely any frame flex:confused: so i should probably box the frame then. i guess ill have my friend with a welder do it in may when we are back from school.

18. colbystephens

i'd really consider those front springs. you could probably get away with alot less frame flex if you had softer springs up front. if you box the frame and get rid of the flex, you'd better hope that your rear springs got plenty of flex to keep the tires on teh ground.

19. muddybuddy

im going to be running TC 52's up front and shackleflip with johnny joints in the rear, so i should be able to plex a good bit w/o the frame:D

20. colbystephens

yeah, i doubt you'll have much of an issue w/ the frame flex after that. :) wait on boxing the frame till you do that - you may not have much frame flex after that. :)