Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift Bumper Bracket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mbosmer, Sep 8, 2006.

1. mbosmer

mbosmer Registered Member

Does anybody now if they make bumper brackets for a 87 K5 body lift, The only ones I can find are for 88 and up.

Thanks,
    Mike Osmer

2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

nope wont find them, you cant physically lift the bumper without cutting the ends of the frame horns, relocating them up higher, and weld. Since the bumper slopes back into the truck and frame horns come just about to the end of the bumper there is no way to physically do it without frame modifications. I did this to my truck when I had a 3 inch body lift. But those days of huge body lifts are long over, thank god.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont have any pictures of how I did it but I think I might be able to find an old picture with the body lift and the bumper at the right height.

4. mrmojo32

mrmojo32 Registered Member

Body lift

I have a 6" Suspension lift on my 89' Jimmy and I am running 35" tires. I have a 3" body lift that has been in the shed for a few years... If I were ever to add this is there anything undesireable about this lift?

I have never done a body lift before but I know I always hear negative comments about them. What's the truth?

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont like body lifts, they have their place on certain rigs I guess but after I took my 3 inch body lift off my truck handled, rode, drove, and was all around a thousand time better. Its really personal preference. I did leave a 1" ORD body lift on because the only thing I did like about the body lift is how easy it makes everything under the truck easier to work on. Theres much more room to get to the bellhousing bolts. I would sell the 3" lift and if your that adament about getting your rig jacked into the air more then go with a 1". 3" is just way too much IMO.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

body lifts are just like suspension in one way: less lift=less little little issues to address, like using longer tubes or wires, fan shroud spacers, etc. doesn't mean it's bad, but having done a few on friends' rides, i don't really think it's work it, unless you really need to clear some 40s or something.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 3" body lift on 2 different rigs. I hate it on both. My 83 I put on to clear 44's. my 2000 I put on because $200 is a lot less then $1500 just to run a slightly taller tire. on newer trucks where the give you bumper brackets they are not as bad. on older trucks i agree with K5er4life, the advantage is more room to work underneath. My body lift came in handy when I clocked my t-case.