Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BODY LIFT BUMPER RELOCATION??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by elkboy, Jan 4, 2001.

1. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I put a 3 inch body lift on my 83 and am wondering if any one makes bumper relocation brackets? Eventually I will put some decent bumpers on, but for now I'm stuck with the stock ones.

Thanks
    elkboy

2. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

What I am going to do is just make up some brackets and weld the bumpers to the new brackets my self.
    By the way, how did the bodylift come out, any problems?

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I have heard of a kit someone offers to relocate the rear bumper only. I don't know who the company is, though. For your front bumper you will always have to fabricate something. It's best to leave it w/the stock bumpers until you decide on the bumpers you want on there because otherwise you will have to fabricate some new brackets for the newer bumpers as well. I know most shops will fabricate both front and rear brackets when they do body lifts for these older vehicles. I'll try to find out who the company is that offers the rear relocation kit and let you know as soon as I find out. Just my .02.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>If you bought a performance accessories body lift, they will have a bumper kit for the rear. I think it's around 25-30 bucks. Summit Racing carries them. I too want to know how your body lift came out, I just received mine and am a little worried since I've never done one in a Blazer before and I've heard they're kinda tough to put in one. I'd appreciate any feedback you could give. Feel free to private mail me too.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I bought a black diamond kit, but there isn't much to any of the blazer kits. I only had a few minor problems during the install. Getting the floor jacks to lift high enough and the getting the rear mounting bolts out were the worst. I ended up using two floorjacks on top of concrete blocks to lift up the body. I loosened up all the body mount bolts, took out the bolts one side at a time so the body wouldn't slide. Be careful and use jack stands in case it slips. You will also need to cut or unbolt the rear tailgate helper springs before you start lifting. The rear body bolts use a carriage bolt through the rear floor. My bolts were stripped out so I had to weld them to the floor to get the nuts off. You also have to drill out the nylon pins in the steering shaft to lengthen it. I drilled them out then used a propane torch to burn the rest of the nylon out in order to get the shaft free. I did it myself in a day, would have been a little faster with two people.
    elkboy

6. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

The only problems i had with my performance accessory body lift was the tail gate springs and make sure all of your wiring on your firewall and going to your starter is nice and free after the lift. Mine was not clear and rubbed through and burned up a fuseable link to the starter. But i fixed it and everything is good now. It was pretty much a one day job, and even nicer if you have two or more people to help. You can email me if you have anymore questions. hollycrap33@aol.com

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I raised my bumpers and took some "how to" pic's of them. They are at my CK5 homepage, link below: They at the bottom of my bodylift section. Takes a litle time to load but it came out good. I also later made a plate to cover upp the gaps left between the frame and the body so light doesnt shine through over the gas-tank and wheel wels, which is what bothered me the most.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

8. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Cool pics, and good idea on the relocation brackets.

Thanks!
    elkboy