Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift componets

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i was wondering, other than the blocks and the u-bolts, what comes in a body lift kit? i have a 2 inch body now and i wanna go 4" i can get blocks made for free and get u bolts at adv auto, what else do i need?
    thanks guys
    keep k5'n

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Personally I wouldn't use a body lift of more than 2". Anything much higher than that put a lot more leverage and strain on your body mounts. I've seen body mounts torn from the body because of big body lifts. Where I live a body lift of over 3" is illegal.
    If you have your heart set on a body lift get a proper kit, they are not that expensive and at least the components of the kit will be the correct materials and strengths.

Just my opinion.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

why is that trusty?
    i am jsut wondering cuz my friends dad has a metal shop to make the blocks
    might go 3inch
    but how common are things busting w/ a 4 inch body lift?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Guess I am a little confused. Ubolts and blocks are for a suspension lift. Body lift would be round pucks that mount between the body and the frame.

Which one of us is confused?????

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've seen some scary body lifts. 3" tubing, hockey pucks, wood blocks[​IMG]. The higher the body lift the more leverage the body can exert on the mounts, if all you do is mud then 3" would probably be OK. If you get it twisty once in a while I would stay with 2" and under.
    Billet aluminum is a good choise for body lift material. 6061-T6 Round stock somewhere around 3" in diameter would work.
    Usually there are a lot of other considerations with a body lift. Linkages for your tranny, T-case, re-positioning the rad or the shroud, moving the bumpers up, extending the filler neck on the fuel tank (maybe). Also you will have a huge gap between the frame and the body (duh! [​IMG]) and if you mud a lot you'll need to fill this somehow in the front to prevent drowning the motor in mud and water.
    I'll be installing the ORD 1" body lift when I splice a new rear half on my truck in the next couple of weeks, and thats as big as I want for a body lift. I figure if I need more I'll do suspension (more suspension [​IMG]).

Rene

[​IMG]

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My body lift also came with extension pieces fot the trans shifter linkage and the T-Case linkage..but with my 208 I didnt have to do anything to the T-Case. Just be sure to adjust the gas filler neck and drill out the pin holding the steering shaft so it can move down to compensate for the body lift.

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I don't think anything over 3 inches is legal anywhere. I'm making a 1" lift out of 3" diameter 7075 aluminum, and that's about as high as I would want to go. If you need anything over 3" start working on the suspension. I know it's more expensive but it's a lot safer.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org