Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift Help Please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Aug 6, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

I am installing a 2" body lift on my 78. The rubber bushings were very worn out, so, I bought a poly bushing kit. When using the bolts that performance accessories sent with the body lift, they are short. Is it that the bolts are made to go with the standard rubber bushings, and the poly bushings make the bolts too short? Has anybody run into this problem?
    thanks,
    Mike

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I've never heard of someone getting a body lift kit and not having to modify a few bolts. I had to use all thread in the rear of my blazer, and had to cut to other bolts. You can try to swap the bolts around with other ones, but I believe it's a very common problem.

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

body lift

When I swapped to poly bushings the #2 mount bolts and #5 mount bolts were to short due to the thicker washers used. The bushings were about the same thickness but the washers were much thicker than the factory used pieces. I just went to the local hardware store and bought longer bolts.

4. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

i appreciate you all's help. i figured that lowes was going to have to fix the problem
    thanks

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Same problem here and had the same fix. 3.00 worth of new bolts.

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After doing a couple of body lifts myself, I do not even count on using the hardware that came with the kit anymore because many times it will not be the exact correct length (close, but not exact). I prefer getting my own hardaware because I know it will be the "exact" correct length, and of a higher grade. Since 1/2" 8-grade bolts are only about 80-cents a piece, why not spend the extra $10 to make sure your lift is put together the best it can be.

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Like the others stated,I too made a trip to the hardware store for longer bolts...typical.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

not grade 2 bolt grade 5 bolts or you will meet your maker sooner than you plan. good luck.:wink1:

9. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

just another hint to anybody doing one of these-
    -- the kit tells you to lift one side of the body with a floor jack, insert the puck, set it down, and repeat on the other side. but when i did that, my front bumper smashed the driver's f turn signal, so jack up both sides.
    --if you jack it up from just the rear, you'll bend your sheet metal right to the front of your rear fenders. mine is solid and rust free, and still buckled a little.
    --and if you have dual exhaust run straight out the back and the a##bag that done them for you didn't make it where you can unbolt the hangers (i.e. welded them to my frame), you can't reach the back two body bolts. so i bought a 14" long bolt and ran it all the way through the frame to the bottomside and used a big washer made out of plate metal, that way i could tighten it with a box wrench.