Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Body Lift... how?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Aug 10, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well i was checking out all my body mounts yesterday and most are reallllly messed up. They need to be replaced, when i replace them i figure i would just do a 2" body lift. I was just wondering what are some of the details and problems you run into when you do a body lift? Do i have to change fuel/brake/etc lines, things with my steering components? I dont want to try to start doing it and realize i have to cut my floor to replace bolts or spend a week trying to re configure some lines or other parts. Any advice on what brand to go with, how to's,, special tricks?

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

on my 3" BL everything was fine, except the linkage for your column shifter, which can easlily be extended with the help of a welder.

The only other thing is, my 4x4 light in the dash dosent come on anymore because the plug isint long enought to reach the transfercase. I need to do it but its no biggie.

ONE THING TO MAKE SURE<< there is a spring in your tailgate that you will have to cut off to put the BL on. Stumped me for about 2 hours.

3. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

First off not a big fan of body lifts. Ive done them on a few Jeeps. I think I listed everything here.

1. Diff vent tubes
    2. Linkage for Transfer case
    3. Linkage for Transmission
    4. Steering column
    5. Fuel Filler hoses
    6. Bumper relocation brackets - Or enjoy the gap

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hm.. seems more of a hassle then...

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

On a 2" i did years back, the only thing I hassled with was the fuel filler hose. Everything else was fine, I had a manual tranny, with non-hydro clutch setup, so all I had to do there was re-adjust the linkage. For my tailgate spring, I wanted to keep it so the wife could operate the gate, I just drilled 2 new holes in the frame where the spring clip was bolted, and moved it up.
    If you live in the rust belt, you'll be cutting those bolts no matter what, they do not come out after years of salt spray. A welder really helps with this job, weld a piece of bar to the top of the bolt head, because if you start turning the wrench below to take the nut off, rust belt trucks always spin the square in the floor that the bolt mates to, into a circle. Soak those things every day for a week ahead of time with penetration oil too.