Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

body lift install...i searched

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Apr 10, 2006.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i just bought a 2" performance accessories body lift, i have a 89 k5, and i was wondering, before i begin the lift, if theres anything im going to run into that i should know ahead...it says in the instructions some trucks might have to cut out the floor a little for the steering to sit normal etc. so have anyone ever done a 2" body lift on 89 or around 89? :confused:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

did it say WHERE you'd have to cut the floor? That seems a bit ... extreme. :eek1:

The rest of the issues (tranny linkage, fan shroud, bumpers, etc) you would of course have run across in your searches.

-- A

3. durantk5

durantk5 Registered Member

you may have to cut and remove your tailgate springs. and you wont have to cut the floor for the steering.

4. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

really?! wow..i never heard that before...would i just have to modify them a little so my tailgate could still be "normal"...or remove them totally like a pick up truck?

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you might have a body bolt spin in the floor as the nut is just crimped in place with steel floor pan material. thay do spin loose at times and you will have to cut in the floor pan to make a hole to get to it.

6. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hmmm thanks for the tip:waytogo: ....maybe ill tac weld them to the floor when i take the nuts off...:thinking:

7. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I Soaked body bolts in BPblaster for 3 days ahead of time and they come right out. Shifter linkage needs to be extended. Only other thing is your tail light wires keep eye on not to tear them. Oh my tailgate spring just got bent and works fine. Used same kit as you.

8. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

bend the spring eh? sounds good, ill keep an eye out for the tail light wires also thanks.:bow:

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might need to disconnect the springs to actually get 2" lift. I left mine attached for the 1" lift and it was an added PITA. I have my doubts that it will ever be 'normal'. Mine came out with the tailgate super light placing strain on the tailgate brackets.

WHEN you go to aftermarket bumpers you will probably lose them anyway so ditch them now.

10. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine are custom but, When I built them I put them back. That tailgate gets heavy after awhile and 6" higher. Springs help some:D

11. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Everytime my spine spurts out a disk while lowering the heavy bastich tailgate I wish that my bumpers had retained the springs.... Nice job :wink1: